Chapter Four: Tongue Of Glass

The officers gathered in the small meeting room. It was another long night as a weird case arose that sent shivers down the Sargent's spine. He stood at the front with pride in his posture as he set up the monitor to explain what had shook him to the core. "Firstly I'd like an update on the missing persons case regarding the gang members. I believe your next line of inquiry is with Tabitha Maneera's friend who lives in the Burchills area?" He turned his attention to us with expecting eyes. We had delayed our investigation due to extenuating circumstances and began reviewing further CCTV footage and asking around the area of Burchills to see if anyone had seen them that day.

"We have some eye witness accounts that place them in the area at 1pm and are scheduling to interview the Baileys residence tomorrow morning. We believe that they went down there to speak to Tabitha regarding joining the gang in place of her father." Jan said. The Sargent nodded and then put a picture up on the screen of a young boy, possible about 8 years of age. "Don't let the innocent look fool you, right now this child is the main suspect in a murder inquiry. Last night his mother was found dead in their house by a visiting friend. She has puncture wounds in the throat that match with a glass attachment her son has on his tongue. When Harry was born, he had a undeveloped tongue that led to him getting bullied so he has been said to have sewn a glass shard onto the end of his tongue in the shape of a snakes tongue. If you could look into if anyone has seen him in the area while you're down there tomorrow that would be great. We will be requesting that some of you check CCTV footage from down the road as there is no CCTV available on the actual estate. Some of you will be posted at the house as a look out team as we check DNA for conclusive evidence as to whether it is Harry who killed his mother or not. His mother was abusive towards him so that is the potential motive. Other lines of enquiry are to look into the ex husbands and boyfriends and anyone else close to the family. In further news.." He continues on with the news of cases and advancements in cases. That boy doesn't look like a killer but what does a killer look like? I've seen plenty and they're all very different. Tomorrow shall be interesting with juggling looking for the missing gang members and a missing child who may or may not have killed his own mother.

As the sun rose over the damp ground, biting back the shadows that polluted the earth and hid the monsters of the night, I awoke to the dread of knowing what today shall be. Sometimes the motivation to work gets pulled out of your soul and it's hard to keep a grasp onto it. Jan had messaged me about 40 times already and that's concerning. I jump out of bed and look to see what the fuss is about. They've spotted Harry yesterday evening at an ice cream shop alone. Quickly, I put my things into order and rush out of the house. No time for a lack of motivation today. Jan gives me a concerned look as I'm not usually late or unmotivated. I shake my head to motion that I'm not interested in discussing the matter. We get into the car and speed away. When we got to the ice cream shop, we couldn't see even a glimpse of Harry, even though we'd hoped he'd go back again today or this would be where he's set up base. We asked around with staff and customers but no one had any idea of where the kid went, only that he wasn't in fact alone. The staff on shift that day said that he was with a young person in their early 20s. Such a vague description like they hadn't really payed much attention. Maybe it was one of the gang members who went missing and Harry was now on his way to being recruited. A scared kid like that would be easy to take advantage of especially when he's scared and wishing for protection. Again, we were back with no leads, but were tasked on following all leads on Harry for about a week. Nothing came up. We would have given up and gone to question the Baileys family but Tabitha's friend was not at home until the week was over. We went over instantly

"Hiya Mr Bailey, this is-"

"I know who you are, don't worry. Come on in. Would you like a cuppa or anything" The man muttered as he guided us through to the dining room situated in between the kitchen and conservatory. It was a rather big house, very well decorated and full of character. I had hoped that we would be greeted with Tabitha's young friend who was the same age as the two missing men. Maybe they knew what had happened and whether Tabitha ever saw the people who had been trying to find her. "It isn't me you wanted to talk to really is it? Last room down that hall and to the right. Just don't be shocked at the state of the room, after Tabitha died things haven't been the same round here." Mr Bailey walked away to make our drinks we requested and we headed on towards the last door on the right. Here goes nothing.

Piled up on a none existent floor was clothes and plates and cups and rubbish. Once entering the room, it smelt of damp and mould. It was like entering a forest of depression with only one way in and no way out. Jan physically gagged as she withdrew the gloves from her pocket and began to manoeuvre her way through the dense sadness that marked the air. I tried to follow but my body figure knocked down every tree of trash that I passed and made it even more difficult for me to make my way to the lump in the bed. Hidden inside this horrific state of a room was a person, laying down in their own filth. They weren't sleeping, their eyes were transfixed on a particular part of the wall that looked like every other part of the wall except for a small dent in the paint work. Slowly we pushed on through and Jan managed to move some stuff to make us able to join the youth on the bed. These delicate cases can be very hard to see. Someone with such life before them being swallowed whole by their own bed leaving only an empty carcass of the person that once resides there. There were so many happy pictures of this individual all over the house and it's hard to say that this thing in front of us is that same person. Heartbreaking.

"Could you wake up hunny, it's Detective Halms and Detective Spence here. We've come to ask a few questions if that's okay? I know it's hard since losing your friend but this is super important so it would be great if we could get some cooperation."

"I know who did it"

"You know who did what? Could you elaborate?"

"I know who killed them" Dead eyes stared at us now rather than the wall and a shiver crept down my back, it was very unnerving. We knew it was all over once they uttered the next words.

"I know who killed those missing people."