just like your dad (marina)

maya

"how many times do i have to tell you carina, please pick up your wet towels off the floor!" i yell through the house. i pick up the soaking wet towel and hang it up in the bathroom. frustrated i walk into the kitchen to find carina eating food. "did you hear me?"

"what?" she asks and looks up at me. "woah why are you so mad bella?"

"you keep leaving your wet towels on the floor carina." she sighs.

"i'm sorry." i walk to the garage and shut the door. i put my gloves on and start hitting the punching bag as hard as i can. i get really angry sometimes, so to help get it out and calm down i work out. i usually run but we got a punching bag and it seems to be helping. i just don't want to act how my dad ever did towards my family. i punch the bag as hard as i can for about 30 minutes before i feel like i've calmed down enough. i walk back into the house to see a mess. carina has left her dishes on the counter and blankets on the living room floor.

"carina!" i yell and she pops her head out from a doorway. "you left such a mess." i say trying to stay calm.

"oh, i'm sorry. i'll clean it up bambina." she picks up her mess and i head to the bathroom to shower.

next day

"who is that doctor?" i ask carina when she enters the car.

"amelia?" she asks and i scoff. "what?"

"nothing." i say and keep my eyes on the road.

"amelia has a baby and a boyfriend maya. no need to be jealous."

"i'm not jealous." i state. i grip the steering wheel harder.

"then why are you angry." she asks.

"i'm not angry." i say raising my voice slightly.

"maya, bambina." she puts her hand on my thigh. we arrive at the house and i storm inside. i quickly change my clothes and put on running shoes.

"i'm going on a run." i say and leave the house.

i run until i can't anymore. i look at the time and realize it's been almost 2 hours. carina is probably worried by now. i am not that far from home so i walk there. i try to hurry. i don't want to make carina upset. i don't want to be like my dad.

i open the door to what looks like an empty house. i kick off my shoes and head upstairs. i find carina in our bedroom.

"babe." i say to get her attention as i stand in the doorway. she turns to look at me from where she is sitting.

"feeling better?" she asks and i nod. "you were gone for a long time."

"i know i'm sorry carina." i sit down next to her.

"are you really maya? because you do this a lot." i look her in the eyes.

"i am. i just need to clear my head sometimes and." i'm interrupted by carina.

"maya maybe you need to try therapy." she states and stands up.

"i don't need therapy this works just fine." i say getting a little aggravated.