Chapter 1

I awoke to the sound of metal grinding against metal and the feeling of being pulled down while being pushed up. It made me feel nauseous. The air is cold, stale and dusty. And to top it all off, I can't see anything, it's all pure darkness. A lurching shudder shook the floor beneath me, causing me to fall. I hadn't even noticed I was standing, which caused me to be even more disoriented.

I decided to shuffle backwards on my hands and knees until my feet hit a wall. I felt around to touch it, it is hard, cold and patchy? Meaning smooth and rough, almost like a coating was peeling off on some parts or something; the texture was all off it felt... triggering. I found myself angry at the fact it wasn't 'proper', not that I would be able to explain what it should feel like. At this point it would be better if it didn't exist.

I slide along the wall until I reach a corner and just curl up into a ball. As though making myself small and angry would pop me out of existence. Then I chuckle, it's kind of funny. Being angry about how metal feels when I can't see for jack. But realising this causes a wave of fear to wash over me. As if timing couldn't be worse, another jolt causes the room to jerk upwards like an old lift in a mine shaft. And harsh, loud sounds of chains and pulleys, like an old steam powered factory, echoed through the room. The sounds bounced off the walls with a hollow, tin-like whine.

I swear. I almost had a heartattack. And the thought of a heartattack paired with nausea seemed to have upset my insides as I retched uncontrollably, but nothing came out. I managed to get on my knees as I continued to retch and gag. Soon a sour, acidic liquid escaped from my stomach through my throat and mouth. My throat stung in pain of the liquid. I felt even more nauseous as a headache washed over my head and I felt pressure either in or around my head, I couldn't tell.

All I could tell was that my head hurt and I got knocked onto my side with the next jolt of the room. Luckily I didn't land in the vomit but next to it. As I laid on my side I rolled onto my back to embrace all of the cold from the floor.

It was only after I was on the floor that I felt how the elevator slowly swayed back and forth as it ascended. But just as I was feeling one with the floor a smell like burnt oil invaded my nose and made me feel sick again. I wanted to cry but I thought 'I must be dehydrated', because no tears built up.

The feeling of helplessness flooded my body. As all I could do was lie there and wait. Maybe I'm in limbo; cursed to forever wait in an unlit elevator.

My name is Rani, I thought.
That... that was the only thing I could remember about my life. It made no sense to me, how could I remember my name but nothing of the rest of my life?
It pissed me off as I tried remembering my life. Knowledge engulfed my thoughts, facts, images and details of how the world works. I was able to picture a galaxy, eating rice with lentils, swimming, playing a piano, a busy city with many people minding their business. All down to the homeless people, street performers and people protesting for equal rights. All the sounds, the feelings, it was all there but... not.

I was able to recall images of people, but their faces were smeared with haunting, blurry colours. I couldn't remember how I had gotten into the lift or who my family was, my friends, or even myself. I couldn't even remember going to school or having a job but all the knowledge was there. I knew history, some languages, what is moral and what defines a straight man as straight.

But I couldn't recall a single conversation, anyone I knew, where I come from or where I've lived.

The room continued ascending and swaying. I still hadn't gotten used to the painful echoing sounds of the chains and whines of metal, as it stil hurt my head but it seemed less loud than before.