The Sage

He knocked softly on the door, reading the signals her emotions were sending to his head.

"Miss, may I come in?" he asked. She didn't reply but since he didn't sense any aversion to his request, he opened the door slowly. She was still on the bed, her knees drawn up to her chest as she looked out the balcony. He stepped in but stayed close to the door, not trusting himself to not be pulled to her, letting silence prevail before he finally spoke.

"I'm going out," he said, placing his hand on the gilded doorknob for support. She turned to face him, the blank look on her face unsettling as she stared right through him.

"Hopefully, I might have the answers to the questions you may have by the time I return. If you need anything, Ida will be here. You can call for her, or use the bell on the dressing table."

She didn't reply, picking at imaginary specs on her wedding gown. He made a mental note to ask Ida if she could get something more comfortable to wear. Her emotions didn't give any sense of distress so he moved back, closing the door slowly.

"She seems chatty."

He jumped on hearing the voice behind him, turning to glare at Damien.

"What are you doing here," he hissed, pushing him away from the door.

"Wanted to see my new sister-in-law. She's lovely. Any connection to the people at the Malenos arena?"

"Move," Xelan replied, nudging him towards the stairs.

"You know you can't just ignore the Dalis. They do not appreciate being kept waiting," Damien said as he went down the spiral staircase. Xelan brushed past him once they were on level ground, moving towards the great room. He picked up his sword and sheath, strapping it to himself.

"Which is why I need you to inform them of the recent happenings."

It was a long shot, considering he had married a human without even alerting them and they might not be pleased to hear that his curse could not be used to their advantage anymore. But the Dalis would never agree to being stood up by their little errand boy unless it was deathly serious.

"That you suddenly upped and married the first mortal lady you met while on your errand?"

"If you can think of any excuse that would work, I'd love to hear it," Xelan said dryly, buttoning up his shirt and taking a coat that was draped over his couch.

Damien sighed, rubbed his forehead. "Lyle is going to love this."

Xelan grunted, putting on his coat. "Of course he will. But I have to go, Damien. I need to know, to understand..."

He took a deep breath. If Fate had decided to play its hand, he could at least get answers. He looked up at the ceiling, thinking of the woman who was above. At least, for her sake. He shook his head to clear his thoughts, not eager to trigger the Aftermath.

"Well, I hope whatever you get from Elara is worth what you are about to do."

Xelan breathed deeply. He couldn't even think of it being otherwise. He parted ways with Damien as they moved away from the house, transporting himself by mistral. As soon as the blue mists dissipated, he found himself in front of a small cottage. Willow leaves shook and shivered in the warm afternoon breeze, blowing the faint scent of herbs and grasses his way. He treaded carefully, aware of the life that flowed like blood through the veins of the willows.

"Elara," he called, waiting at the very edge of the cottage's entrance. There was no reply to his call and he tried peering through the window to see if she was in.

"Xelan, what a surprise."

He turned back to be graced by the sight of a figure in a blue hooded cloak. The figure removed the hood from its head, revealing the pale face of Elara. She looked taken aback by something but then smiled slightly, gazing at him through half shut eyes. He bowed slightly.