Chapter 1: Were it so easy

The powerful hyena humanoid had taken the joy of emptying her lungs. A loud, triumphant shout that lasted nearly a full five or so seconds. Her bellow was filled with that of anger, but it wouldn't be a sin to assume pride would mask it's intent. Birds flew wildly from the snow covered trees, frightened by that of a predator asserting it's dominance through victory. Her fur was a rather intricate yet beautiful display of both black and white, with a few grays here and there mixed in. Her body strong, yet filled with many scars from both the past, and the present. The gnoll's dirty yellow eyes practically illuminated in the darkness, and it was most certainly a sight to see.

The man that stood beside her breathed rather heavily taking in the image of their victory. The numerous bodies laid cold, faces lied downward with the deep velvet color of their failure splashed over the snow beneath their bodies. It was as if they were mere children with swords compared to the much more experienced and skilled beings that proved their success through the continued survival. Their bodies still warm, standing upon their feet and staring down at those whom weren't as lucky as they were.

The warrior had let out one of his final deep exhales before reaching down and obtaining one of his now nearly dull battle axe. It seemed to have grown tired of being forced through so much light armor. His left eye scarred and left grey, his body strong, yet lean. His beard was long and braided, but seemingly began to turn gray. The spearman's expression was rather calm when compared to his triumphant almost violent looking partner. Adair almost couldn't help being pulled into such a predicament: charging into a bandit camp and not bothering to try and be stealthy. Perhaps his new companion was to blame but in the end it had worked out regardless. These individuals that had set up camp were barely surviving as is. It was more than clear the captain of these fiends however had been secretly stockpiling on food. It was almost humorous in a sense...

Adair had been snapped out of his thoughts feeling a 'gentle' punch to the shoulder. It was if someone tried to shove past you in a crowded hallway. The much larger gnoll had given a light snarl, those dirty golden orbs resting on his form, the sound she had made was not out of aggression, but to obtain his attention. It was rather clear she succeeded as the human had given a nod in response. No words had yet been spoken between the two tonight, they had only known one another for that of merely a week, perhaps more. But their alliance was rather shaky at best despite the trust they bestowed in one another during combat. The occasional glances towards one another with a blade colliding an axe, a cleaver bashing down upon a sword, steel enforcing it's will upon another.

A sharp huff came from the larger woman's nostrils, her serrated sickle was placed upon her hip before the large bloodied cleaver like weapon she wielded was placed over her back. Her fur partially blooded but such a thing did not bother her. Why should it? It served as proof as her violent triumph. As much as she hated feeling pride, she would nearly always take the time to secretly revel in it.

There had been a time where these two had once met before, but did they remember? No, it wasn't even a distant memory. But their weapons had clashed once before. The gnoll had served in large warband that had attacked and nearly succeeded in annihilating the tribe where he hailed from. Yet the man had managed to succeed with the aid of his allies to push such violent beings into a retreat. Even with all the gruesomeness and effectiveness of the warband's attack they had chosen to retreat. They hadn't even lost too many numbers... maybe neither of them would remember as to exactly why. Yet such an effort was nearly 25 years ago, and both individuals had left their respected allies for different reasons. Had it been fate they were brought here? If so, what purpose? Would there be a spark to be reignited? Familiar memories that were so close that seemed so far? It was safe to say the answer was up to neither of them, but perhaps something more... something both of them would have yet to expect.