Prologue: 24th Century

Dusk Devas

It is difficult to find a single square foot of land in Ashen-Gravel, Maine, Atlantica that hasn't been previously burned up, used as a dump or littered with human waste. But somehow, by a miracle, I've found one. Or actually, a person-sized lot that has blades of green grass swaying in the polluted wind. I cough just thinking about it, even the suit and mask I wear can't fully keep out the gross air.

A screen beeps in my line of vision. "Please report inside the Clean Building immediately Dusk Devas, you have been selected for the program."

I scream for joy so loud that I use up most of the good air in my suit. I had applied two years ago for this program. Everyone wants to be a part of this program. Why? It's because you get a chance to go back to a version of earth where the surface area of the planet still has blades of green grass, fresh air and gorgeous pristine snow that isn't covered in dump or ashes. Yes, you are to warn people but at least you get to escape this mess even for a while. Besides, I want to help anyway. It reminds me that there's still hope out there.

"Report immediately inside the Clean Building of Ashen-Gravel, otherwise we'll move to the next recipient. You have five minutes to do so." The screen beeps which makes me jump from my spot and dash to the next port.

It's self-explanatory. Sure, people give me strange looks because of my older-looking suit, my damp tousled brown hair, my tan skin slicked with sweat and the clothes I wear. (The suit can be transparent, it comes in many colours.) But still, no one really judges when I hop onto the port because even though I'm mixed, I look enough like the minority to be admitted.

The port tosses me to the Clean Building immediately. There, I try my best to straighten up my look. I try to look professional as it is the sleek, metallic, Clean Building after all. So, I use some of my suit's limited power to keep my looks in check before I enter the Clean Building.

"Welcome, Dusk Devas," my suit's automated voice calls out as soon as I step foot inside the building. "You may now partially remove your suit as the air in this building is filtered and safe to breathe. Please head into room F16H7U9N2 or room floor 16, hallway seven, unit nine, number two effectively immediately and take a seat in the left grey chair. Thank you."

After five draggy minutes of waiting, the three other chairs (one grey and two red) turn around. On the red chairs sits someone who looks to be the manager. On the grey chair sits an official-looking person, a lawyer or an officer.

"Welcome, Dusk Devas," says the man on the left red chair.

"You have been chosen," says the woman in the right red chair.

"You have been called here because you still need to sign the papers," the woman in the grey chair says.

"And because we need to review the rules with you," the man finishes.

"Let's start by reviewing your file," the red chairwoman said.

"Status: Middle-lower. Origin: Cathoire, Ontario West, Canada. Residence: Ashen-Gravel, Maine, Atlantica. Ethnic: Mixed." She continued on for a while.

"...why you want to be chosen: To help prevent the same thing from happening elsewhere and—" then, the man took over.

This happened for a while (the file was extremely lengthy) before she moved onto the rules, which were also extremely lengthy. But, since the rules ARE pretty important, I actually paid attention to them and ordered my suit to take some notes.

"You are to be sent back to a time in the early 21st century where many developments have happened and people are only starting to realize how they are destroying the Earth," red chairwoman says.

"Someone else is to be sent with you for safety measures, he will be Carl Ramirez who also happens to be one of your former classmates. He will be in the next two towns over, about 30km away," grey chairwoman added.

"Finally, you will be sent some possessions as well to help with your mission, some will be on the pod, others in your backpack. Among them is a gadget and a charm. You will report to us weekly with the gadget and when you press on the charm, you will be able to travel anywhere, here or there," the man concluded.

"So, are we clear?" All three of them say in unison.

"Yes," I nodded.

"Good," the red chairwoman says. "Sign the papers, it is a two-year contract, you will spend two years there."

"Arrangements will be made. When you finish signing the papers, you are to report to room F78H3U11N5 for preparations," the man says.

So, are you ready?" All three say.

I take the pen from the red chairwoman and nod my head. "I am."