Chapter 13

"What's wrong?" Creamwing, once Creampaw, asked softly. She and Stonebite were together under the stars in Airclan territory.

"I'm just worried about Smokeflower." Stonebite said. Creamwing tilted her head in sympathy.

"She's not getting better?" Creamwing asked. Stonebite shook his head sadly.

"It's been a week, but she still hasn't woken up. She has a fever too, and the scratches are infected. Herbfall says... Herbfall says..." Stonebite started to say, but couldn't finish. Creamwing came and sat beside Stonebite. Stonebite sighed.

"...He says that Smokeflower is going to die." Stonebite finally managed to choke out. Creamwing brushed Stonebite with her tail.

"I'm sure Smokeflower will be fine." She said kindly. Stonebite sighed.

"I hope so. Blueheart is with when constantly. She has so much to live for! She's too young to die! It's all Snowleap and Shadowstalker's fault! I'm going to kill them!" Stonebite growled, jumping to his feet. Creamwing slowly stood up beside him.

"Isn't Blueheart a Waterclan cat?" She asked.

"Yeah. Apparently he and Smokeflower have been seeing each other without telling anyone." Stonebite said.

"Not unlike we're doing." Creamwing pointed out. Stonebite shrugged.

"Well, I have something to tell you that might cheer you up." Creamwing said happily. Stonebite looked up.

"What?" He asked.

"I'm expecting kits!" Creamwing said happily. Stonebite froze. Then he shook his head frantically.

"No! You can't have kits! This can't be happening!" He said. Creamwing looked sad.

"But Stonebite, you'll be a great father!" She said. Stonebite stood up and began backing away.

"You're an Airclan cat. I'm an Earthclan cat. We can't be together. Not now, not ever." He said. Them he turned and ran as fast as he could back through the tunnels and to his own territory.

---

Starpelt sat beside Blueheart. Together, they watched over Smokeflower. Both cats were worried and sad. Smokeflower's fur was hot to the touch, and she shifted restlessly. The cuts on her nose didn't seem to be healing at all, and had to have new herbs constantly applied. Herbfall moved in a daze, not seeming to care about anything.

"Is it time to change her herb paste?" Blueheart asked. Starpelt looked over at Blueheart. He was different than Starpelt had imagined. Blueheart seemed to truly love Smokeflower. He had done everything for her. He had protected her from his own clan mates even when he was outnumbered. He had stayed with Smokeflower through it all. He had followed her to her clan, even when it meant being a prisoner. And he hadn't left Smokeflower's side the whole time.

"What's the point?" Herbfall said slowly.

"What do you mean?" Starpelt asked. Herbfall looked at the two toms sadly.

"She's going to die. One will die. It's going to be her. So young too..." Herbfall said. Blueheart glared at him.

"There's always a chance she'll live!" Blueheart exclaimed. Herbfall didn't reply.

"It's written in stone. She's going to die." Herbfall repeated. Blueheart frowned.

"What's wrong with you Herbfall? What happened to the optimism you always have?" Starpelt asked.

"I can't save her. And even if I could, I can't save her kits too." Herbfall sighed. Starpelt's mouth fell open, as did Blueheart's. Blueheart looked happy.

"She's having kits?" He asked.

"You're mates?" Starpelt asked.

"I said we were mates in all but name. She was afraid to tell you." Blueheart said. Starpelt muttered something under his breath.

"I don't care if you think that you can save her or not. Please do everything you can anyway." Blueheart begged. Herbfall sighed again.

"I'll try." He said.