Chapter 1

"And toss."

Thud.

"No, no, no, no, no. Dammit.", our Cheer coach screams.

"Scarlett are you alright dear? Get out of the way. Give her some space."

Yah I'm great. Just peachy after taking a 6 foot high fall. Thank God for the mat. If it weren't for that I would have at least 15 broken bones by now.

"Yes, Miss Williams." I begrudgingly reply.

"Walk it off honey, walk it off."

Does she know that if I did have a broken bone or torn muscle that's the worst thing I could possibly do. And she's one of the Physical Education teachers.

But, I walked it off. Confirming that I'm completely fine except for a bruised shoulder.

"How many times should we practice to get a toss right? Why can't you just catch her when she falls?", our coach shouts at the girls who tossed me. Or were supposed to toss me.

"It's not their fault Miss Williams I think I jumped a bit early."

"What? Why did you jump? You weren't supposed to jump."

"I got confused and a bit flustered so I jumped. I'm sorry Miss Williams. I assure you it won't happen again."

"Oh okay. Alright then. Today's time is up. We'll practice it again Monday. Now run along, you."

She treats us like we're toddlers who just joined preschool.

"Thanks for having our back Scar. I really thought she would have our heads", one of the girls who messed up tossing me, Leah, says.

Exaggeration. Miss Williams is really sweet unless you piss her of REAL bad. Like major keying car level.

"Yah I was peeing my pants. You should have seen her face. It was becoming red and puffy like it always does when she's angry.", the other one, Betty says.

I smile at them and say, "Of course anytime. Us cheerleaders gotta stick together."

Then I wink, or try to. But I bet it looks like I have facial palsy.

They look weirded out and mutter something about getting home and slither away.

"Oh my God. The way you plopped on the floor was so funny.", Maya laughs pretending to wipe tears at the corners of her eyes.

"Hilarious Maya. Your sense of humor is worsening day by day."

"I really don't understand why coach can't make me toss. I'd be amazing at it. I was one of the tossers at my previous school.", she continues after ignoring me.

"You're short Maya. And look malnourished,  I'm sure Coach doesn't want anyone to die on her Cheer squad. You need to eat more." I say as I change into my normal clothes in the locker room.

"Hey, that's offensive. Take that back. And by the way I may be short but this shawty has a lot of strength in her.", Maya counters while flexing her, may I say, non existent bicep.

"Whatever makes you sleep at night sweetie. C'mon, we gotta go to the library to get Lilah. It's my turn to host our sleepover remember?"

My friends and I have this tradition of having sleepovers every Friday where we share with each other and get our worries off our chests by confiding with the others. At least that's what it is to me. My best friends know everything about me and vice versa. Each of us gets a chance in hosting the sleepover on every third Friday.

And yes you read right. Lilah goes to the Library to spend her time when we have cheer practice. She's not a cheerleader. She's the brain of our group. That's not very accurate I guess because all three of us are beautiful, smart and strong.