Chapter 2

Oh shit.

The Woods are coming over. The Woods are bad news. To me at least. Especially one member of the family.

Kai Woods.

He's one person whose bad side you didn't want to get on. That's what the rest of the school said anyway. He's so closed up. He never talks to anyone at school. Gets great grades and ignores everyone who tries to make conversation to him. Out of all the years I've known him ( 3 years by the way) the longest sentence he's ever spoken was "No that won't be necessary, but thank you." That was when I asked if he wanted me to drive him home one day after our parents had dinner together and his parents forgot to take him with them.

His parents are very weird. Always give him glares and some meaningful looks whose meaning I haven't been able to decipher.

But those looks are familiar. Extremely familiar to me. But I don't understand why his parents send him those looks. I got them only before something very bad happened. To me mostly.

I try to be nice to him. Try to get him to talk and everything. Never succeeded. He just ignores everyone and just speaks when spoken to. When I speak to him all I've gotten is head nods or yes and no.

"Hey Scar!", Lilah snaps her fingers in front of me,"Where'd you go? I was calling you for like three minutes straight."

"Just zoned out."

"Okay then. Which movie should we watch first.", she asks going up the stairs with Maya.

"Let's watch the Maze Runner series. In order."

"What's that?", Maya asks.

"It's one of the greatest cinematographic masterpieces of the 21st century you uncultured swine."

"Ohhhk. I still have no clue what the movie's about."

"It's pretty self explanatory. There's a guy who runs in a maze. The best part of the movies are Dylan O'Brien flipping other's off." Lilah replies plopping down on my huge ass bed.

I really need a smaller bed. But then they'll have to sleep on the floor the next time.

Like that's a bad thing. They take up so much space. I'm always hanging off of the side. In spite of it being about 7 feet wide.

"Hey! There's so much more to it than that. But yahh those are the best parts.", I pipe in.

The rest of the night is passed in a carb driven haze.

The next afternoon, cause we woke at 2 pm, was spent in a small café called The Bookhouse. Don't ask me why a café is called a bookhouse. It just is.  The Bookhouse has been our favourite cafe ever since I moved here.

At 6 pm I come back home to get ready for the much dreaded dinner.

I decide that I'll wear a royal blue off the shoulder dress with gold embroidery that ended at the middle of my thighs. It was very pretty and I loved the colours.

At a quarter to 7 the doorbell rang. I stayed put thinking someone else would get the door. But of course. I was the only one alive in the entire house that Mom had to tell me to open the door.

"Hello Mrs. and Mr. Woods. Come in. Make yourself comfortable. Dinner will be ready soon." I gave them my best fake smile.

I always greet people like that. Mrs first then Mr. It's my thing I guess.

I never liked them. They were very fake. So fake that we could see right through the façade. I don't even know why they were like that. I mean why would they want to hide who they really are? Waste of time and effort in my opinion.