P A R T 1

[P R O L O G U E]

"I said 'Let's stay as friends'" He mentioned it again. How many times have I heard this?

"And I said 'I like you'" having a conversation like this to an old friend here in Batanes is not really something to be happy about.

"should we compromise our friendship for that kind of 'like' you're saying?" 'Yes'. I've always wanted to say 'Yes' even after rejecting me twice.

"Let's not see each other. Not as friends. Not even as someone we once used to know."

"You think it's easy to let our 15 years of friendship go?" he asked like I didn't even think of the consequences of what I just said.

"and you think it wouldn't be hard to have you as a friend knowing that I like you?"

"Charlie! –"

"Charisse Lee. Call me by my name. and Good bye Warren Gage" And here we are again. The two of us facing each other. Not letting our gaze go of each other's eyes. Waiting for someone to leave and give up. But not me. Not this time. I've always been the one to walk away after this kind of conversation, and taking one step away from him is like taking two steps back to his arms again. So, I waited, because I know that if he's the one to decide, then there's no taking back.

Why are we even in this situation? How did we end up like this? It was never my intention to be close to him. But he's the one who insisted of being friends. I remember now! It was all thanks to Mrs. Cortez. Our English Literature teacher and class adviser.

15 Years ago...

"Please introduce yourself in front of the class" The teacher said with all smiles as if I'm someone she knew before. I just ignored it and started walking to the platform and face the people I'll be with for I have no idea how long. This has been my 5th school now all thanks to my father whose job requires hopping from one place to another. And being the only daughter of a single father family, I really have no choice but to follow him. He's my dad after all.

"Hi, I'm Charisse Lee, Nice to meet you all" – 'I guess?' I wanted to add but I just shrugged and looked at everyone's faces. It's not like I'll remember them anyways. I'm sure that we'll just have to transfer again after a year here in Palawan, Philippines.

"Ms. Lee here is the daughter of a famous calligrapher in South Korea. We've discussed some of his works before if you can still remember him--" Calligrapher? Technically, my father is a graphic artist. He's not into letters and words. He's more of a colorful shade kind of guy. Until he met my mom who is a novelist. Since then, he started –

"Mrs. Cortez, the new student is about to doze off because of your long introduction of her autobiography" Someone interrupted our teacher's monologue and my daydreaming, and everyone in the class started to laugh. I searched for the owner of that voice and I saw a guy with a sly smile on his face, sitting at the corner of the room next to the window and he doesn't have any seatmate. Please tell me that I will not seat beside --.