T w e n t y S i x

We've only been walking for a few hours, but already Naruto's incessant nagging is starting to annoy me.

"C'mon Pervy Sage what new jutsu are you going to teach me next? I know you said you're teaching Y/N too but she's already kinda better than me, we should be focusing on my training first!"

I mutter in response, "I'm not 'kinda better than you', I'm way better than you, blondie." Naruto hears me and throws a teasing glare my way as if to say it wasn't true.

"First of all," Jiraiya starts, "Stop calling me a Pervy Sage! It's gonna look weird now that we're accompanied by Y/N. And second of all, you have no idea how amazing I am. My name alone strikes fear into the hearts of men!"

Naruto doesn't seem at all convinced and crosses his arms in front of him.

"Actually he's right," I say, "You're one of the legendary Sannin taught by Old Man Third, right?"

Jiraiya turns to me in amazement, "Huh? You know me, kid? Well, I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised since you're Kakashi's daughter and Naruto told me you were in the Anbu." He places his fingers onto his chin as he stops walking for a few moments and turns to his right at the small shrine that was placed in the middle of the empty dirt path. "How about we take a break here." 

As Naruto inspects the bells on the shrine and runs around doing God knows what, I sit next to Jiraiya and drink some water. We sit silently but I sense his eyes on me and turn to meet his gaze. "Can I be honest with you, Y/N?"

I nod my head as Naruto laughs somewhere from within the small hut and rings some bells. Seriously he acted like such a little kid sometimes, I thought.

Jiraiya looks up at the sky and watches the clouds go by before he speaks up again, "I haven't been completely honest with you about this mission. Truthfully, we are trying to find the fifth Hokage and a suitable master for you, but there is another reason why we are traveling, and why I let you tag along with Naruto."

"What is it?" I inch closer, wanting to understand exactly what Jiraiya was talking about, something that he had to keep secret even from Naruto.

"Before I came back to Konoha I traveled and gathered information. There's an organization named the Akatsuki, they wear black cloaks with red clouds, and they are searching for people like Naruto." He stops looking up and makes sure that I'm still listening and I give him a nod to tell him to continue. "Do you know what I mean, by 'people like Naruto'?"

"A person that has a tailed beast within them," I respond and his eyes widen before he lets out a chuckle.

"You're more knowledgable than I had assumed. Anyway, yes I've reason to believe that members of this organization might come searching for Naruto so, we're on the move to make him stronger and to keep danger away from the Hidden Leaf."

I don't say anything as I digest this new information. So there was a hidden mission within this one, but what did that have to do with me?

He continues as my mind races, "I thought that if anything were to happen, as one of Naruto's closest friends you could help keep his wits about him. I've heard about your abilities, you're a prodigy just like your father was at his age and so I doubt that we'll even find a master  capable of bringing you higher than you are right now. So selfishly I allowed you to come to be an extra set of eyes."

I stand up, fuming at the truth and ready to go back home, "Jiraiya-Sensei I am happy to have my skills recognized by one of the legendary Sannin but I did not agree to this journey to babysit Naruto. You should be more than enough to protect him. Besides, he's not completely helpless-"