invisible string

"Time, curious time
Gave me no compasses, gave me no signs
Were there clues I didn't see?"

    You had met Spencer Reid 3 times before you had really met him. 

    It was almost silly to think about it now. Now that you and Spencer have been dating for 3 years, it was strange to believe there were so many chances for you two to meet years earlier.

    When you were sixteen years old, you got your first part time job. You worked at a self-serve frozen yogurt shop called Iced Dreams. You hated it so much. Your manager was a total creep, your older coworkers were rude and condescending to you, since you were one of the youngest people working there, but most of all you hated the uniforms.

    Consisting of a very stupid looking hat, bright pink with randomly embrodiered teal patterns, an outdated bright teal shirt, it had been given to you from a dirty bin in the back, and judging by the sewn in shoulder pads, it had to be at least a couple decades old.

    So one day, you didn't wear the hat.

    It wasn't entirely purposeful. You couldn't find it, you searched your room, you searched your car, so eventually you had to leave without it to prevent being late. Still, as you clocked it and passed the box of extras in the office something made you decide to leave it alone.

    You were about 8 minutes into your shift when your manager approached you. "Y/N? Where's your hat sweetheart?" You hated this man so much. You had gone to your parents time and time again, recounting his creepy behavior towards you and the other teenage girls who you worked with, but they refused to let you quit.

When you had started working there, he used to enforce this ridiculous rule that all the female workers had to wear skirts as part of their uniform, but you had gathered all the sixteen and seventeen year olds who worked there and all threatened to quit if he didn't change the policy. So you were no stranger to breaking and defying the rules. 

"Yeah I couldn't find it, sorry." you shrugged.

He chuckled and reached his hat out to touch your face. You jerked back, you almost wanted to refuse to wear one of the stupid extra hats just so that you could get fired.

"Well, Y/N its policy sweetie. No matter how special you are to me you still need to wear the hat. There's extras in the office."

"No way I'm wearing one of those. I bet they have like lice or something."

He pursed his lips and sighed "Well I suppose that beautiful hair is just too pretty to wear a used hat huh. . . What do you suggest? If you're working you have to wear it."

You laughed, "Well you could let me go home."

He paused, "Why don't you go sit in the office, I'll come talk to you in a minute."

So you did, for about 10 minutes you sat in the office, surrounded by frozen yogurt flavor marking posters and boxes of old uniforms, and each passing minute you feared for the worst. Maybe you were actually getting fired? You really didn't want to go that far, because, as much as you hated it, you really needed this job.

When your manager finally came to talk to you he held a small salted caramel frozen yogurt, your personal favorite flavor, and a twenty dollar bill. He handed them both to you.

"You seem so stressed Y/N, why don't you take the day and go get lunch. My treat," he said, smiling that weird twisted smile that always made your full body shiver.

However you were broke as hell, and no teenager in their right mind would ever pass up free food, so you took it, grabbed your keys and started to leave