Before the Storm

"Where are Lumine and Paimon...?" Jean said as she paced the headquarters hallway. "They should be back by now... The attack is today. T-tonight..."

"J-Jean, calm down..." Lisa said, watching her. "She's... probably getting some help..."

"She said that she was going to Wangshu Inn, not the Harbor!"

"Jean... we need to trust that she knows what she is doing."

"But what is she doing?!"

"Jean..." The Knight felt a hand on her shoulder. She yelped and retaliated... by swinging Kaeya over her shoulder and slamming him into the floor on his back.

"Wh-what did I do...?" He whimpered while Lisa was stuck between feeling sorry for him or laughing.

"Oh my gosh, Kaeya! I'm so sorry!" Jean exclaimed. "Are you okay?"

He gave a weak thumbs up and his usual cocky smile. "Never... better... I-I need to crack... my back anyway..."

Lisa cleared her throat. "Did you... ahem... need something, Captain?"

"I-I was going to help calm her down... A-and tell her that-"

"Lumine is back!?"

Kaeya slowly got up from the ground. "S-sadly no. Haven't seen her... The t-town has been turned into a fort by now. Every civilian is o-out... a-and you have a strong arm..." He rubs his back. "Razor is moving around helping while Amber... I ended up dragging her to a bed to get some sleep."

Jean sighed and dragged her hand through her hair. "Thank you... At least the people are safe..."

"Jean. Lumine's presence would be helpful, but we just don't have the time to wait for her." Lisa said as the Cavalry Captain cracked his back. "Besides, we can't continue to rely on her for every problem we have."

"I know... we just need all the help we can get..."

There was a knock on the wall. The three turned to see Albedo and Sucrose with Klee hiding behind Albedo. "Sorry, I didn't want to get slammed into the ground." Albedo said.

"Klee? I thought I sent-" Jean began.

"Sh-she rigged up th-the bridge." Sucrose interrupted, looking very nervous.

"I-I'm sorry... what?" Jean glanced at Kaeya.

"Why do you think it was me who told her to do that?" She glared at him.

"Uncle Kaeya didn't do anything!" Klee spoke up. "Klee thought if the bridge is gone, then the bad guys can't get in... so..."

"I found her digging through my materials." Albedo said. "I looked at her rigging and it will take time to remove all the bombs safely."

"Time that we don't have..." Jean sighed, feeling a headache coming on. "J-just... everyone, get into position on the walls. Klee. Go to the church. Barbra and the nuns-"

"But Klee wants to help!" She exclaimed in anger.

"You can help by being safe," Kaeya said. "Besides, the nuns are going to need the help of a strong knight like yourself to protect them. Okay?"

"Really?" She perked up a bit.

"Of course!"

"Okay, Uncle Kaeya! Klee will head there then! Oh!" She dug around in her bag and pulled out a... bomb and gave it to Kaeya.

"Klee!"

"Just twist the top and the bombs on the bridge exploding!"

"Uh..."