.~.~.One.~.~.

*

*

"Is that really what you're going to wear tonight?"
Anya examined the old suit with disgust.

"What, is it too revealing?"
Dimitri glanced at the fold of his pants, a mischievous glint in his eye.
Anya nearly laughed out loud, a most likely unladylike one, as she folded down his askew lapel.
"Well, no, it's just that you look as if you've been living in an abandoned palace your whole life." Her snarky smile pushed her blushed cheeks to the crinkles of her eyes, a look she very often gave him.

"Okay, that's not funny. This is the only dress suit I have. And besides, it's not like this is some fancy event hosted by the royals," he said with a smirk.

"I'll be sure to get you a new suit next time. Now come on, we'll be late."
An exasperated Anya grasped Dimintri's hand and led him into the foye.

"Grand-mama is probably wondering where we are. The ball started already." Anya was frantic, wondering what the Empress would say about her behavior...
"You know, I'm not sure that 'Grand-mama' of yours likes me much." Dimitri couldn't help but shrug as he continued walking, eyes to the floor, staring at the way his feet were awkwardly shaped. He was scared shitless of that woman...

As they rushed down the corridor, Anya's dress billowed against Dimitris' leg.

Anya took a glance up at her undressed partner, startled at why he was bringing that up.
"Oh? What makes you say that?"
When Dimitri did not answer, Anya gently squeezed his shoulder. Their eyes met, sparks flying, both reminiscing over the same regrets.
"We both know that is all in the past now. The whole situation was a misunderstanding. You are the one who brought us back together.."

She gave him a reassuring smile.

"..and we will never forget that. Now come, we'll be late."

Dimitri returned the smile, genuinely, but couldn't hold back his remark.

"Oh, we don't want that."

~.~.~

The ball was indeed already crowded, the room filled with an assortment of deep maroon dresses, frills, and feathers.
Waiters with wine and maids with entrees danced around the ballroom, dodging guests and trying their hardest not to spill anything on the gold tiles.

The Dowager Empress sat on her throne for the first time in over 8 years, a worried expression on her face. Anatasia had missed the opening ceremony.

The ceremony was in the princesses honor, and the princess herself had failed to show up.

The Empress's eyes darted around the room, searching for her granddaughter among the masses.