‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ 3

tw: grief, medicines??

schlatt never liked the markets, the busy trails, vendors on the sides trying to sell their old weapons and spare mob droppings. it was always hectic- however, today, things felt darker. he wasn't dumb- he knew how things were going in the war- how tight money was in manberg. he wouldn't tell toby- some things are better not knowing. like when schlatt had to scrub away the remnants and stains on that balcony- the old blood staining his hands like it once did her skin. and when tobys eyes widened- seeing schlatt sickly leaned over the sink, scrubbing his skin harshly- eyes dark. he asked what was on his hands, and all schlatt could push past his lips was a shaky, paint.

"dad! look!" toby tugged at schlatts hand, pointing at a stall with cakes on it. he furrowed his brow,

"you want cake?" he grumbled, toby nodded in response. "you had pancakes for breakfast, pancakes are basically cake..." he huffed, tugging toby onwards.

"please!?" toby whined, schlatt frowned.

"maybe..." he sighed. after tugging the kid around, filling up their basket with actual food- toby always getting distracted by toys and trinkets- schlatt felt eyes around him. right- he thought, i'm the president. a shitty one too.

"schlatt" a voice from behind him mumbled, he turned his head- dream. "well this is funny" he narrowed his eyes from beneath the mask. schlatt furrowed his brows, tugging toby closer to him.

"dream" he greeted, tension rising in the air. "im a little busy right now- if you want to talk business-" he began,

"cant i just say hello to friend?" he mumbled. no, schlatt thought, there's always something. dream tilted his head at toby, gazing at the kid. schlatt couldn't help but squeeze his hand tighter, he didnt trust dream, not at all. "hello there" dream kneeled down in front of toby,

"hi" toby smiled hesitantly, he could tell something was off.

"what's your name...?" dream said, schlatt could feel the bad intention behind his voice-

"toby!" the kid grinned, "why are you wearing that mask?" he mumbled, dream tilted his head again-

"why are you wearing that mask" he stood back up, leaving toby a little confused. "schlatt-" he glanced back over to him, "i'm sorry to hear about y/n, it's a pity" he adjusted his coat. schlatt looked down at the kid, ignoring dream-

"well- we should go now..." schlatt mumbled, tugging toby away from dream.

"who was that?" toby had asked, only receiving a stressed look from his father.

"not a good guy..." he grumbled, "but don't tell him i said that-" he huffed, then exiting the perimeters with toby.

----

schlatt spent the day thinking, toby occasionally hanging off his side, but mostly alone. his mind unable to stop dancing around dream, and technoblade. how easy it was for them to just find their way inside his home, and what came of that. maybe he should just-

"dad" a small voice mumbled. maybe if he just- "dad" it isn't safe here- "dad!"

"hm?" schlatt turned his head, snapping out of it- "what is it?"

"..." toby narrowed his eyes.

"what" schlatt grumbled, rubbing his eyes.

"my head hurts" he mumbled, rubbing at his horns.

"your horns shouldn't hurt too bad" he huffed,

"but they do" toby frowned. schlatt sighed, sitting up from the bed

"i'll get you something..." he mumbled. toby following him out the door. "although i do think you're over exaggerating..." he whispered-

"i'm not!" toby whined, "they hurt!"

"mhm" schlatt nodded, entering the kitchen and scrambling through the potions cabinet. hm- healing, strength- no. poison- no. fever killer- no. memory loss...hm. pain relief- yes. he grabbed the 'pain relief' bottle and pulled the cork off with a pop.

"what's that?" toby asked, eyeing the medicine cautiously.

"it's just a pain reliever, it'll make the headache go away..." schlatt sighed, pouring it into a glass and handing it to toby. toby sniffed the liquor, furrowing his brows. "just drink it..." schlatt grumbled.

"it looks gross..." he whined,

"it'll make you feel better," he pushed the glass up to tobys mouth "drink" toby narrowed his eyes at the drink, then huffed, drinking it one gulp and quickly swallowing. "there...you barely tasted it" schlatt grumbled, taking the glass away from toby and putting the bottle away.

"they better grow big now...since it hurts so bad..." toby mumbled. schlatt chuckled, ruffling the kids hair.