Part Three

My face was turned towards the beaming sun, as it scorched the playing field. If my cheeks weren't already flushed with the ruby-redness of anger, the sun shall surely have its way with me. I allowed Portia to leave home, while I stayed behind to speak to Sir Caesar one last time, or perhaps Cassius. I hadn't seen Cassius here this afternoon, and I supposed he decided to stay home. The sun in my eyes finally got too great to bear, turning my face to the left, there he was.

Cassius.

I cracked a smile and waved to him. "You decided to show up after all?" I ask, carefully walking through the dusty arena. "I've been stuck with the lower ends of his political commerce," he groaned. "Clearly a jab from Sir Caesar ," he crossed his arm with displeasure.

"Surely it was a misunderstanding," I offer him an explanation.

"Surely it wasn't." He challenged my statement.

In no mood to argue, again. I shrugged. "Then it wasn't," I replied to him with a heft sigh.

"Did you propose your idea?" He then asked me. Somehow, these words slapped me harder than any other insult or degrading comment he's ever made in the past. But this was a simple question. A simple question that insinuated that he cared.

But it hurt.

I made an attempt- a poor attempt, albeit, to brush it off and to pretend it didn't both me. "He wasn't interested in it quite yet. Something about... Controlling the common folk. If they don't have religion they'll be harder to control." I see the rich pools of chartreuse roll dramatically. I could see the annoyance build on his face.

"Caesar doesn't know what's good for him. He wouldn't run away from Morta herself if she stared him in the face. He'd probably seduce her if I am being candid." Cassius scoffed.

I shake my head, "I suppose."

"It's brilliant- your idea." Cassius nudged me with his shoulder. "I know it's brilliant," I retort quickly. The wound on my pride was still fresh and stinging.

"You're brilliant." Cassius nudges me again.

"I know I'm brilliant, Cassius. I am the youngest member in the round table, Sir Caesar's pet project- and yet everyone undermines my ideas and authority in the capital." My words left my lips harshly and aggressively. I saw the surprise wash onto Cassius's face. I never had a reason to use such a tone, typically Sir Caesar, or Cassius, or some other group of people supported my theories and ideas. But this time it was different.

I was the trailblazer for an idea only a mad man could propose.

Maybe I was a mad man.

I do sleep with a man after all. I make a cuck of my wife.

That's as mad as it gets.

"Caesar needs to be brought down a few pegs," Cassius noted. "I've been pondering this idea for a while, you know. He's arrogant. He only thinks for the good of himself, haven't you noticed?"

"I mean..." I look at Cassius, watching the sinister look in his eyes grow more apparent. "I suppose so. But-"

He cuts me off. "We should do something about this. If we don't make a change, no one will. And England will fall with Caesar."

I shake my head. "You don't suppose-"

I see him nod and a smile creeps across his face. "Oh, I do suppose."

"Cassius!"

"Brutus."

"You're mad."

"I know."

...

"But if no one takes action now, Brutus. We'll be watching London burn at our feet."

"Surely it won't be that bad."

"Brutus."

"Cassius...?"

"Think about it."