Prologue

Prologue: The gathering

The moon was just beginning to rise as two large group of cats padded up a raised mound of rocky dirt from opposite ends. On top of the small hill was a flat slab of rock, large enough to fit dozens of cats and directly in the middle between the two clans territories. The moonlight illuminated the area, making the cats in lead of the two groups shine almost.

The groups didn't waste time, pausing only briefly to bow their heads to send thanks to Starclan for a clear sky before stepping onto the flat rock.  Cats broke out of the groups almost immediately, rushing over to greet one another. The area was filled with the sounds of happy hellos and purrs.

There was a small raised rock platform in the middle of the gathering place. It was big enough for two cats to sit.
The first cat greeted only a few warriors from the opposing clan before taking her place at the leader rock. Her eyes dazzled as she looked around the gathering place, as if she were seeing it for the first time. In this lighting, the white on her face and underbelly overtook the brown that covered the majority of her body. She nodded to a tall grey tom cat padding over to her and sitting beside her on the leader rock.

"Slatestar." The brown she-cat purred "You're looking well as always." The young cats tail flicked excitedly as Slatestar sat down.

"Good evening, Frogstar. " Slatestar murmured dryly. "Congratulations on becoming leader. Dripstar will be missed."

Frogstar nodded with a smile that seemed permanently plastered to her face. It only faultered as Dripstar was mentioned but bounced right back.

"She was a great leader. She trained me well.", The young cat purred, glancing up at the starry sky, her green eyes searching.

Slatestar let out an unimpressed hum. "let's just get this gathering started. Do you want to start? This is your first time" he said.

Frogstar purred and nodded. "Thank you!" She stood up and motioned with her tail, "Everyone find a comfortable place to sit, the gathering will begin now." The smaller she-cat gazed out over the mass of cats. The clans were mixed here, with some clusters of each clan here or there, but the cats were mostly mingled enough that an outsider wouldn't be able to sort them.

Slatestar let out an impatient sigh as he waited, the cats quieting down and settling in to listen.

Frogstar waited until she saw most of the eyes were on her then began, her enthusiasm pushing down any bits of anxiety or doubt she may have had.

"Marshclan has had a hard dry season. I know this is no surprise, as many of you already know, but we have lost two of our elders and our former leader, Dripstar to the drought and sickness." Many cats tipped their heads down, as a sign of respect.

"But!" Frogstar went on, wanting to keep the spirits high. "The rainy season is here and the clan has been blessed with both kits and prey! Pondleaf and Shortburrow are expecting their first litter" There were murmurs of excitement and curiosity among the clans.

Shortburrow stood tall and proud. Well, as tall as he could with his short legs. There were purrs of congratulations to the brown and white patched Tom.

A large bushy shecat made her way over to the cat. "Your first litter!" She licked her sons head proudly. Her own belly was holding fresh kits of her own.

Shortburrow felt his face grow hot with embarrassment as he gently pushed her away "Tootsie." He said quietly, "you can't talk when the leaders-"

"Ahem" Slatestar was glaring at the young marshclan warrior. "There is time before and after the briefing to chat. You have been here long enough to know the rules of the clan. This is not a twoleg den." His eyes bore into both cats accusingly, even though Shortburrow was clan born.