Chapter 1

The wind stirred the long grass along the road where I was hidden. Every sound perked my interest whether it be the rhythmic breaths from Liu Ming or the dull trod of workers making their way to the fields along the worn dirt path in front of us.

My nerves grew as the sun began rising, making out hidden alcove more noticeable with every beam. Something wasn't right.

Our newest informant was due to arrive before sun up. Isabella had assured me that much. It was not like her to get the facts wrong. This could easily be a trap, but I would not be the first to make a move if that was the case.

My legs tingle from the way my leg jutted to the side, holding me in a position to run at a moment's notice. The fitted gloves were secured at my waist next to my father's old dagger. The moment Ellanoire was late I had begun preparing for a battle.

"We should leave," Liu Ming hissed as you're drawn hay cart passed. The workers bobbed on the back of it, heads lolling with sleep and I could feel my eyes dry.

"They will be here. I know her, she wouldn't betray us. Not with what's on the line."

Lady Ellanoire, my mother's dear sister, had responded immediately to Isabella's attempt to contact her. She had felt the tension growing after the bloody wedding. With two young sons, she feared they would be caught in the fighting. She was willing to help the Spirits, with the condition that her sons would be protected.

"With what she has on the line? What of the Spirits? With every new ally, we risk leading the Hunters to Intutum" Liu Ming bristled next to me, her stone-like stance morphing into a predator hunch. "When the sun breaks the treetop, I leave."

"They may have been held up, we cannot leave them."

"Then bring them yourself, my time is better spent working to find the Missing."

"And this won't accomplish that task? Lady Ellanoire may have the most likely directions of all our contacts."

"Or she could be saying what we need to hear to help her."

As Liu Ming continued to voice her concerns, I could hear the low cry of a toddler from the crest of the nearest hill.

I motioned to Liu Ming, but she was already focused on the road, her amber eyes narrowed.

"It must be them. Curl around the field and cut behind them," I ordered, "I will approach them first."

"If something goes wrong, get them to Intutum. I don't trust they didn't betray us."

"And yet do you know a mother who would use their child as bait?"

Liu Ming seemed to turn to ice as she crept by me, angling deeper into the grass, and the small party in the open-closed in.

The tallest figure was a woman, her arms clutching a young boy, his cheeks streaked with tears. Her other hand clutched a small carpetbag where a boy of eight at most walked. He to looked uncomfortable, but seemed to know better than to say anything.

The woman was fair-haired with deep-set blue eyes, the same eyes my mother had possessed, or at least that was what I had been told. The blue orbs were dancing around the field as she stopped at the crossroad, the bag being set at her feet as she bounced the crying child.

I gave it a minute, each second ticking away as I watched for any side of foul play. When none appeared, I crept forward.

Ellanoire's eyes met mine as I moved into the road. I was taller and my hair was chopped shorter, but I knew instantly she recognized me. Her shoulder slumped and an almost hopeful smile broke onto her face.