Chapter 3

It was hours later when I returned, the sun had disappeared completely in the sky, leaving only the moon and stars to light my way.

I pulled my body onto the shore, sand hanging in my hair. My hair was thick with tangles and salt, the only state it seemed to be in anymore.

The cliffs were dark and cold, but I didn't mind the feeling. It reminded me that I was not too far removed from humans and what they could feel. Especially after a long swim, I felt the need to sit in the quiet and reflect.

The church was just as we left it that morning, still and desolate. I had worried that the Hunters would find it, but not a stone was moved.

It was a quick return home and I settled into my apartment, gathering my quill notebook. I had taken to recording with great detail matters related to Hunters for my benefit as well as the other Spirits.

In the last few months, I had managed to fill half a journal with names and events that I could remember. Nothing had led me to a possible prison.

I stood from the desk, a shabby piece of furniture that I had scraped together for the sole purpose of writing, and glanced out the window. I would have been in the early hours of the morning, only four hourglasses turned out of the twelve that circled the inside pavilion. Too early for Ellanoire to be awake, or any human for that matter.

Perhaps not too early to meet with Spirits.

I poured the bucket of water into a rag, running it through my hair and along my skin. The water from the falls was fresh enough, if not particularly satisfying. The thick layers of salt whipped away with each brush and I grabbed my cloak before leaving my apartment, the door swinging closed behind me.

I pulled the hood up and made my way to the library, pushing open the doors and weaving up to the top spiral where a flat room splayed out in front of me. The walls were thick and the door made such a fuss that no Spirit worried about being overheard.

A thick rug decorated the floor with chairs circling the room. There were enough stools, loveseats, and couches for every Spirit and it had become a new meeting place. Even now, the windows were open, letting the ever-present dust filter out.

Faraji and Anaula lounged on the couches, their features as close to a bird as humanly possible. Even then, human wasn't the right word. Another Spirit with long, braided hair sat across from them. I took a seat next to Anaula as a man, a boy really, climbed through the window.

"I heard you bought another one in last night?" Faraji asked, his eyes peering over a book, the earthy cover clutched tightly in his hands.

"We did, yes. Ellanoire, the wife of a high lord. She thinks she might know where the missing is." I leaned forward and Anaula copied my motion, pulling her brother with her. "I want to lead a party to scope the build. It's in the mountains, so I want you, Anaula, to be our eyes in the trees and sky.

"No," Faraji interjected. "She will not be going."

My fingers dug into the couch as I stiffened. "I still want to extend the invitation to Anaula." I turned my attention to the women. "Your wings are healthy. You could scout the area where the cabin would be, tell us whether or not there's anything up there. You never have to go near it."

Faraji looked at his sister, his lips turned down. The feathers at the edges of his wings fluttered, flying up, then down as he grew more agitated.

"You could get hurt," Faraji urged. "Please, just stay in Intutum where it's safe."

Anaula's wings were still, the ebony feathers a striking contrast to her brothers. Faraji's wings had healed, but the bare patches of skin still shone through the longer coverings. He could fly, but his speed and agility were crippled, most likely forever. I could understand his want to protect his sister.