~Chapter 2~

Maddie's POV *DulJuice*

The chair I sit in is getting hotter and hotter the more hours I stay sat in it. I peer at the corner of my screen to see that there is only 2 minutes left 'till release.

I anxiously stare at the minute going by to hear the pleasurable soft ding.

DING!

A bell chimes. We all do the routine of turning and placing everything away and standing still for inspection.

We all walk out the door, and took the stairs that lead outside.

I walk by Matilda, who was giving me a disgusted look, but I stay looking straight to avoid The Box. As soon as I pass Matilda, a subtle smirk appears on my face and I try to hide it, but apparently her guards caught me.

I was stopped in my tracks by a bulky arm blocking the door that leads down. I stay staring straight until I feel a hot breath on my neck. Cold shivers run up my spine to the uncomfortable feeling.

"Maddie Helbig," Matilda says in her rotten old voice, making me hate my name.

I put my hands by my side sharply and keep a solid face.

"How are letters coming around?" I spot her in the corner of my eye walk to my right.

"Well mamm," I nod my head and bite my lip.

"How far until completed?" She inspects me with her eyes trailing up and down my body

"Not long mamm." I start to bite my lip harder, tasting my blood.

"Okay." She nods her head slightly, making the guards put their arms down. I salute goodbye and catch up with the others.

A bead of sweat falls from my face as I sprint and jump down the stairs. I pant, gasping for air once I open the door and the cool wind relieves me.

I squint my eyes and shade them from the bright and welcoming sun. I jog to catch up with Bee, Mitchell, and Brayden.

"Hey!" I give them a half smile and lean on Bee's shoulder.

"What took you so long?" Mitchell asks staring at my lip.

"Well Matilda held m-"

"What happened to your lip?" Brayden cuts me off.

"I was nervous around Matilda because she asked me about my progress on the Letters." I catch my breath and we step into the Living District.

"Ahhh." Mitchell nods his head in realization.

We all split up into our own homes and knock on the pearly white doors. Our parents greet us with a reassuring hug and step aside to present us our home.

I take off my coat and hook it on my rack. I slowly walk upstairs to my bedroom and shut the door.

There was no contrast or other colors in the Living District; all buildings are basically monochrome, consisting of the black, grey, and white. Those were the only colors on the palate for the builders.

I lie down my bed and stare at the chandelier that hung from my tall roof.

"Madeline!" a comforting voice calls.

I sit up and open my door. I walk down halfway and peek my head to see my mom and dad hugging a little.

"Yes, Mother?" I ask moving my messy ponytail out of my face.

"Time for dinner." She smiles at me.

I walk down and pull out the chair for my mother and father. I sit down and unravel the napkin that held my utensils. I gently place my napkin over my light blue skirt and wait patiently for her to serve me.