New Kid

To say that Marinette was amazing would be an understatement. Class president, model student, and good at everything, be it art, baking, or sports. Seriously. She could defeat every single person in school at any sport and still be super modest about it. It was incredible. 

However, Marinette was a very serious person. She kept to herself, and though she was friends with everyone, rarely made anyone her 'best friend.' She was good that way. Didn't let anyone near her, so no one could break her heart. She had a beautiful smile, reserved only for special occasions. People craved the day they would see her beam, and the ones on the recieving end of these would tell people how amazing it was, and gloat about it. A lot.

To say that the girls at school were jealous of Marinette would be an understatement. They loved her dearly, but were also absolutely livid that Marinette could do everything better than them on her first try. It didn't help that all the boys not-so-secretly had a crush on her. 

Marinette paid them no mind. She didn't want a boyfriend, she wanted a boy friend.  All the girls were too gossipy, or too quiet, or too upbeat for her taste. And all the boys were in love with her. She wanted someone to confide in, someone to be her best friend. Someone who understood. Maybe if she found the right guy, but right now she just wanted a friend she knew she could trust. Right now, she was unattainable, and she liked it that way.

She was thinking about all this when she sat down for lunch. 

"Did you hear?" Rose said, watching her take her seat.

"Hear about what?" she responded nonchalantly.

"There's a new student coming! Tomorrow!" Rose seemed super excited. Marinette....not so much. Just another person to avoid. She thought. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Damien arrived, there was an uproar. Not many students came in the middle of the year. He was the only one this year. And last year. And the year before that. He had come to France because his father had made him. "It's time you made some new friends, and obviously it isn't working out here." He had asked him where he wanted to go, and Damien had said that he wanted to go to France. 

When he walked into the classroom, he instantly sized everyone up. Call it force of habit. He could tell the bubbly from the smart, the mean-hearted from the quiet, kind ones. The only one he was clueless about was a girl in the back, with raven-colored hair that fell down her face gently. The teacher told him to sit next to her. 

The teacher knew how people felt about Marinette. He wasn't oblivious. He had asked Damien to sit next to her because he knew nothing about her, and so he wouldn't be like everyone else around her. For now. 

Damien got a good feel of the school on his first day. He tried harder to be friendly, and found that he quite liked Nino and Adrien. Maybe they could fill him in on the social heirarchy of the classroom (Dami i'm sorry this is not normal. Or is it? I'm not sure). Nino had told him about everybody, whereas Adrien was quieter, and only filled him in when Nino made a mistake. At last, Nino got to Marinette.

"Everyone likes Marinette. She may look serious, but she's really kind. And good at everything. And like, all the dudes have a crush on her. It's like, her thing. Thing is though, she never likes any of them back." Damien nodded. He understood.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That afternoon was when it became clear how many guys had fallen for Marinette. He was putting things in his locker when he heard a lustful sigh. He turned to see Marinette walking down the hallways, looking....normal. He could tell she hardly ever smiled. Most of the boys in the hallway had dazed looks on their faces as she walked by.