9. Training

•

"AGAIN," THE DOCTOR ORDERED once more. The torture and selective mind-wiping was routine to Eleanor now. It was particularly bad this time around because Eleanor had disobeyed to see her sister. The scientists and doctors were sadistic in their joy of bringing her pain. She bit down her mouthguard, her knuckles turning white as she gripped the arms of the chair. She huffed and heaved when the pain finally stopped. "Agent?" They questioned her.

Eleanor's eyes flickered briefly to the corner of the room where James stood, waiting for her. "Ready to comply," She responded, her voice ruff from the screaming.

"Good," Doctor Klaus, the doctor who gave her her new legs, nodded. "Release her," The other doctors listened, unlatching her from the chair. Eleanor absentmindedly rubbed her knuckles. "Soldier!" He called, beaconing James over. Nodding, he listened. "Take her to the training room. Get to work right away," His eyes narrowed. "And no going easy on her this time."

"Yes, sir," James spoke plainly. Using his human arm, he pulled Eleanor up and together they walked silently to the training room. "Do you remember what I taught you last week?"

Eleanor was still a little shaken from earlier. She swayed, trying her hardest to keep herself from falling. She nodded slowly. "Yes..."

James eyed her warily. "I'll give you a minute," He sighed and walked over to the training equipment, trying to make himself look busy. He kept an eye on her. Ever since they brought her in from the explosion, he felt this pull towards her, a need to keep her safe.

"I'm ready," Eleanor spoke up after a few minutes. "Do your worst."

James tilted his head, resisting the urge to smirk — The Winter Soldier did not smirk. "Right, let's get to work."

Eleanor couldn't remember a time when she felt so sore — If there was, it was wiped from her mind. The bed they provided for their soldiers when they weren't in cryo-sleep was hard and uncomfortable, but better than nothing. She laid, staring up at the ceiling, trying to remember anything. She nearly passed out from how much she was straining her mind. "It won't work," The of The Winter Soldier startled her. He stood in the doorframe, arms crossed over his chest. She couldn't help but stare at his metal arm.

"What?" She responded hoarsely. He sighed and walked in, motioning for her to move over so he could sit. Eleanor did so reluctantly.

"Trying to remember. I've tried, it never works," He ran a hand through his long brown hair and sighed. "You'll give yourself an aneurism trying."

Eleanor stared at her hands, frowning. "How long have you been here?" She questioned, not looking up from the ground.

James sighed deeply. "Not sure. They wiped me so many times I don't even know how old I am," He couldn't help staring at her. "This is the longest I've been out in a while. They want me training you to be my partner."