Chapter 1

Kim Jongin.  Are you serious?  What is he doing here?  Who is Kim Jongin you ask?  Let me tell you a story.

My name is Jang Hyorin, I am 18 years old, and I live in the beautiful Seoul, South Korea.  Why am I in disbelief that Kim Jongin is here?  I’ll tell you why.  He was my best friend in primary school.  What made things even better was the fact that he lived just down the street from me, so we could play with each other even on the weekends.  Everything was going well, actually quite perfectly for an 8 year old child.  Well, until that one horrid day.  As much as I want to forget, it lingers in my memory like food stuck in your teeth.  The day that he left me.  Yes, he left me all alone to conquer the rest of my life by myself.  Well maybe I’m being a bit too dramatic, but you get the point.  Anyways, he just all of a sudden, moved to Daegu.  Do you know how far away that is?  Well I didn't, but I did know that we were going to be on completely opposite sides of the country!  Just as I thought it would not get worse, once he was in Daegu, he changed his number (well yes, he is living in a different house), and he did not even call me!  Not even once!  How could he get rid of me and forget about me like that?  The reason for my baffled reaction that he’s back?  It’s not because he left me.  That was out of his control.  It’s the fact that he didn’t even contact me even once and now, 10 years later, he shows up at my high school.  Of all the high schools in the world, why my high school?  If this is the heavens above punishing me, I am immensely sorry for whatever I did wrong.  Could you just forgive me and move Kim Jongin away again?  I promise I won’t do anything horrible anymore.  Please grant my wish this once and get rid of Kim Jongin from this school, city and maybe even country.

“What the heck are you doing?  Are you...praying?!”

I opened my eyes to see my best friend Jung Krystal sitting next to me and my elbows propped up on my desk and my hands in prayer.

“Uhh...hey Krystal.”  I cannot let her know that I was praying for the new kid to disappear.  “I was umm doing my afternoon prayer.  Yeah, that’s what it was.  Just an afternoon prayer.”

“Gosh Hyorin, you can be so weird at times.  Since when did you start doing an ‘afternoon prayer’?”

“Umm...just today.  I just started today.  You know, I decided that I wanted to cleanse my soul.”  I’m such a horrible liar.  Why couldn’t I think of something else?

“Okay…?  Anyways, did you see that new boy?  He’s so good looking and he’s from Busan.  I think his name is Kim Jongin.”

“Daegu.  He’s from Daegu.”

“Oh yeah!  So, does that mean that you’re interested in him?  You don’t usually pay attention to anything someone you don’t know says.”

Crap.  Really Hyorin?  Why did you have to say that and correct her?  Now she thinks that you like him.  The exact opposite of what I’m actually feeling towards him right now.  I can’t just come out and tell her that I hate him though.  Ugh, I’ll just deny every assumption that she makes because, that is the truth.  Yeah, I’ll just do that.