Jordan

Chapter 4-

Jordan

I stormed off from Brooklyn. I mean, who in the hell does she think she is? She doesn’t know what it’s like to lose a loved one. She didn’t lose her younger sister. So no need for her to pretend she knows what it’s like.

                I stormed into the house. Mom jumped. She looked over at me from the couch.

                “What’s wrong sweetie?”

                I gave her that; “Please leave me alone” look. “Nothing.”

                “Something’s wrong.”

                “Brooklyn. That’s what’s wrong.”

                “Who’s Brooklyn?”

                “Long story, I don’t want to explain. Let’s just say she pretended to understand me. I mean, I gave her a chance. I thought she could be the one person who would know the real me.”

                “Come sit next to your momma, and tell her what’s going on.”

                I sat next to her on the couch and she turned off the T.V. and turned towards me, ready to hear this long story. “Well, Brooklyn is a bigger girl. She was getting picked on and I helped her. I told the losers picking on her to leave her alone. Then she looked at me and I panicked and left. Then I went back to school after it was over and I saw that she stuck a note in my locker that said thank you.”

                “I went to the park to clear my head and I saw her taking photos of the trees, and the birds, and I followed her to tree that she sat under. I asked her what her name was , to bring up conversation, and say next to her on the ground. Then she pretended to understand what it was like to lose someone. Oh shit! I overreacted. I have no clue if she has lost a loved one or not. I’m an idiot.”

                She nodded. “I think you need to apologize. Make things right.” She kissed me goodnight and went upstairs. I turned on the T.V. I hadn’t realized I fallen asleep until dad woke me up.

                “Son, get your ass and go upstairs.” I rubbed my eyes and went upstairs. I climbed into bed and went back to sleep, dreaming about Sarah.

                We were at the beach house and Sarah and I were on the boat. “Are you insane Jordan?” She practically yelled in my face.

                “What?”

                “I hope you feel better. I’m not telling you to get close to Brooklyn for nothing. She lost her mother you damn dummy. Her step mother treats her like crap. She’s always drunk and calling her fat and stuff. Don’t go and tell her you already know this. Apologize tomorrow. You messed up big time buddy.”

                “I’m sorry Sarah. I didn’t mean to.”

                “Don’t say sorry to me. I’m not the one you hurt.” And with that the dream faded.

                I woke up to my alarm. I did not want to get up. I have to apologize to Brooklyn. I didn’t even know. God, I’m so stupid. I took a quick shower and half towel dried my hair. I threw on some jeans and the first tee I saw. I rushed out of the door and was off to school.

                “Brooklyn! Brooklyn!” I yelled after her when I saw her. She turned around, confused, an gave me a blank stare.

                “Uhhh… yeah?”

                “Im so sorry.” I hugged and apologized once more.

                “For what, exactly?”

                “Not understanding like a normal person and being overdramatic.” She was completely surprised. I don’t blame her. It’s not every day you see Jordan Redbird apologizing.

                “It’s fine. I’m just wondering why you just left. I was so confused.”

                “I’m sorry. I just thought you were going to be like those other people who pretend to understand you, when they don’t.”

                “I would never do that.”

                “And I know that now. Hey, let’s ditch today and have some fun. What do you say?”

                She shook her head yes, “Why the hell not?” She laughed. She flipped her curly hair and we headed towards the door.

                “Brooklyn?”

                “Yeah?”

                “Thanks for giving me another chance.” She smiled the biggest smile I have ever seen on a girl and nodded.  We hopped into my truck and began our journey. I turned up the music and took her to the place that means the absolute world to me.