Chapter 6 - Past

"Here's to another successful raid!"

The four women clinked their glasses together. They sat in the corner of a small bar. Violet sat on one end with Noemi in the corner flanked by Andrea and Maria, who had changed out of her armour. The each held a pint of beer with shades ranging from clear yellow to opaque brown. On the table sat an appetizer platter and a plate of nachos for them to share.

"So," Maria said, leaning in a bit. "Are you going to join us?"

"I will at least take a look at the contract," Noemi replied.

"We'll discuss that tomorrow," Andrea stated.

"Mind letting me in on the secret?" Violet asked. "Why are you so interested in this C-Rank?"

Andrea thought a little, then looked at Noemi. "Do you want to explain your circumstances? Really, none of us know the truth."

Noemi hummed in thought, staring down into the foam of her glass. "I don't know you all very well. How about you each explain your circumstances, and then I'll see how I feel after some more alcohol?"

"That sounds fair," Andrea said. The other two nodded their agreement. "I'll start, then. Before Awakening, I worked in upper management at a large company. I hated it. Everyone was so cutthroat, the atmosphere was unfriendly, the pressure was high, ugh."

Andrea took a long drink before continuing. "When I Awakened as an S-Rank, I saw the same stuff in all the existing guilds. So, I decided to make my own. I wanted a peaceful place, where the members didn't feel stressed, where they could have fun and be happy. That's where the name comes from. Requiescat in Pace. It's a message for the fallen Hunters, yes, but also my goal. A place where people can literally rest in peace, and if it extended to the citizens, people resting peacefully at night knowing we're taking care of the Gates, that would be wonderful."

Noemi smiled a bit. "It's a good goal. Certainly, everyone looks relaxed and friendly, at least that I've seen."

"I try to provide for my members," Andrea said, wrapping an arm around Noemi's shoulder. "Hopefully that will soon include you."

Violet and Maria both snapped to attention, watching Noemi's face. However, Noemi didn't show any displeasure. She didn't even really acknowledge Andrea's action. The other two women slowly relaxed.

"We'll see. No promises."

Noemi made no motion towards removing Andrea's arm, so the Guild Master left it there.

Maria spoke up next. "I used to be an athlete, track and field. Not Olympics level, but still really good! After I passed my peak, I became a personal trainer, so my new role as an instructor has been very natural for me. I actually Awakened pretty early on, a little over five years ago now, so I've had a lot of time to learn a bunch about all the different weapons. I'm pretty skilled now!"

"I might have to ask you for lessons," Noemi said. "I-if I decide to join, that is."

"I'll look forward to it," Maria said, smirking as she slid her arm around Noemi's waist. "I'll teach you lots and help you find what you like."

Noemi briefly looked at Maria's face, wondering if that had been a double entendre, but decided it probably wasn't. "How did you start working with Andrea?"

Maria giggled. "Come now, that's not a story I can tell after just one beer!"

"Hmm, if you say so," Noemi said, clearly curious but unwilling to pry further. She turned her gaze to Violet.

"As you may have expected, I was an artist," Violet said, glancing between Andrea and Maria. Was Noemi just going to let them stay like that? "I taught myself Italian, saved up money, and took a train here around six years ago, but didn't Awaken until four years later. It's close to impossible to make a living as an artist, so Awakening as an A-Rank Mage was a big boon for me. Now I can make crafts and express myself that way."

"There's a huge crafting guild here, right?" Noemi asked. "Why didn't you join them?"

Andrea said, "You know that, but not the names of the country's S-Ranks?"

Noemi only knew about the crafting guild because she'd seen its name on the majority of the items at the auction hall she'd visited.

"They're too big," Violet explained. "Here, it's big enough that I can get a lot of materials from the dungeons, but small enough that I can still show my creativity and make the things I want to make."

Noemi looked around at the three women. "You all had pretty similar jobs before and after Awakening, huh?"

"That's typical," Andrea said with a nod.

"I've never known what I wanted to do," Noemi said, drumming her fingers on her nearly-empty glass. "Nothing interested me in college. I never had a dream for the future. I worked to make money so I could live, and lived because the alternative is scary. Pretty much my only desire has been to live a quiet life where I minimize my worries."

"Ah," Maria said, realizing something. "Is that why you're C-Rank?"

Noemi nodded. "I didn't want the attention being highly ranked would bring, so I held back as much as possible. I figured if I ended up being B-Rank or higher, the guilds would never leave me alone with recruitment offers."

"It ended up being the opposite, huh?" Andrea smirked and moved a bit closer, her breasts pressing against Noemi's arm. "It seems like you haven't been able to leave us alone."

"There were a lot of coincidences," Noemi mumbled.

Maria took Andrea's lead, squishing closer to Noemi. "Wouldn't it be better to call it fate?"

Violet interjected before her useless superiors got out of hand, "So, what's your real rank?"

"I don't know," Noemi replied. She started to shrug, but abruptly stopped when she felt her arms rubbing against the chests of the other women. "At least A, I think."

"My money's on S," Andrea said quietly.

"Hey, waitress!" Maria called. "Can we all get a refill here?"

As the night went on and the women became more and more inebriated, Maria and Andrea became more and more affectionate. Violet kept a close eye on them. They restrained themselves enough to keep their hands away from the naughty areas and Noemi never looked uncomfortable, so Violet didn't speak out about it.

In the end, Andrea settled the bill. They slipped out of the booth. Noemi stretched her arms up, having been quite cramped.

"I'll take you home, Noemi," Andrea said.

"I can't let my Guild Master do that," Maria said. "You should go get some rest. I'll handle returning her."

"You were part of the assault team, you need the rest more than me," Andrea replied. "Besides, it's important that I make sure my guild members are well taken care of."

Violet sighed. "After seeing how you two were acting, you really expect me to leave her alone with either of you?"

They both glanced over to Violet and opened their mouths as if to reply, but couldn't think of an effective response.

"As a neutral party, I'll take her home," Violet said, her tone firm.

Andrea and Maria exchanged looks. Their expressions melted into smiles and they shook their heads.

"That's fine."

"Please do."

Violet nodded, then gestured to Noemi. "Come on. Let's get you home."

"Ah, sure."

Andrea watched Violet leave with Noemi, then turned to Maria. "Then, would you like to come home with me?"

"Just for tonight," Maria replied. "For old time's sake."