6

To say Peter was confused would be an understatement. There had been monsters - not aliens, monsters. Straight out of a storybook. And then Annabeth- and Percy...

There was a sword (where had it come from?) and the monsters had exploded. And then his friends had walked off like nothing had happened. He looked at MJ.

"What just happened?"

"I was attacked," MJ said monotonously. "There were two big ugly muggers coming towards me, and then..." she furrowed her brow in an adorable mixture of confusion and concentration. "And then... you saved me?" It seemed like more of a question.

Peter was stunned. How had she mistaken the monsters for muggers? And she couldn't remember Percy and Annabeth, or what had happened.

He remembered Annabeth snapping her fingers and telling them to forget. But it hadn't done anything, had it? Had it?

He made sure MJ got home okay, then he swung back to his place. He'd just made it through the window when Karen alerted him that there was an incoming call from Mr Stark.

He immediately accepted.

"Hey kid, enjoy the swab test?"

"Not really?"

"Don't worry, your genes are safe, by the way. See anything strange recently?"

Peter wondered how to tell Mr Stark what he'd just seen. "Um,"

"Well, I have. Turns out there was a different sample missing half it's DNA but we didn't get the first one again. Is there any reason why anyone wouldn't have been tested?"

Peter thought about Annabeth slipping away from the retest. Had she pushed over the table deliberately?

"I... Do you know who this one was?"

Peter had a sinking feeling that he knew, but he had to be sure.

"Whatever it is, it goes by Perseus. Perseus Jackson."

Peter slumped down onto his bed. Percy was the monster? But he'd saved them and killed the monsters... And brainwashed MJ. Whatever he was, Percy was his friend... but he'd lied to Peter. But then again, Peter had lied to Percy too. Because Peter of all people understood the importance of keeping his identity hidden, and how weird DNA didn't make you a bad person.

"Pete? You still there?"

"Yeah."

"You know this kid?"

"Yeah."

"Any ideas who the other one might be?"

Peter didn't say anything.

"Kid, this is important. They could be dangerous."

"Yeah," Peter mumbled. He'd seen them kill twice. They'd killed monsters... But did they really have to kill them? And brainwash MJ? The monsters had disintegrated as soon as Percy and Annabeth had touched them. If that sort of power was let loose in public...

Peter was about to tell Mr Stark when there was an explosion on the other end of the line, followed by distant cursing. Mr Stark heaved a sigh.

"I've got to go, but think on it, yeah?"

And he hung up.

Percy took a deep breath. He could do this. He'd just act casual in school and they wouldn't suspect a thing.

.0*.o*:O*.

The next day at school, Peter was acting really weird. He kept staring at Percy, which made him uncomfortable, and flinching every time he made any sudden movements.

Percy wanted to ask the guy what his problem was, but Annabeth told him to leave it. She seemed to suspect something about Peter, but Percy had no idea what. That guy was the most normal nerd he'd ever met.

When school was over, Percy saw Peter at his locker. He crept up behind him and jumped out, yelling "Boo!"

Peter tripped over, looking utterly terrified, like he actually thought Percy was planning on hurting him. Percy frowned and offered Peter a hand up, but he just kept staring at Percy. It was REALLY getting on his nerves.

"What?" He demanded.

"How did you sneak up on me like that?" Peter asked like it should be impossible, finally standing up by himself.

Percy wiggled his eyebrows playfully. "I'm sneaky."

He could have sworn Peter shivered.

Hoping to change the subject and get out of this weird awkwardness, Percy blurted out,

"Are you proud of me?"

Peter froze. "What?"

"I saw one of your avenger-y guys yesterday."

Peter's eyes widened and he backed away. What was up with that guy today?

"Aren't you going to ask which one?"

"W-which one?"

"Spider-Man! I couldn't remember his name so I had to go look it up when I got home."

Percy was expecting his friend to laugh, or ask for details, or start fanboying, but he just kept staring at Percy with wide and scared looking eyes.

Percy scowled.

"Whatever. I've got to go."

He could have sworn Peter shuddered as he walked away, and when Percy glanced back, he saw Peter dialling a number and raising his phone to his ear.