Chapter sixteen// Home

Sabien
After about four days' worth of sea travel, we finally reached Greenhaven.

"We're here!" Niko's excited shout pulled me out of my thoughts. I sprinted up to the deck.

In front of the castle was a sprawling mass of people. Their chants carried on the wind. "The heroes have returned!"

A grin split my face and I turned to whoever was closest to me.

Sasha returned the grin, looking like a little kid. "They're waiting for us!"

As soon as we docked, the seven of us that were left raced down to join the crowd.

"Sasha!" An all too familiar cry sounded over the roar of cheers. It was his father, Flynn.

Somehow, Sasha beamed even more brightly. "Father!" He rushed to the taller man, wrapping his arms around him. Delar loped after him, looking happy despite all the noise.

Two more familiar faces appeared in the crowd, a boy dragging along a girl. Aiden and Jayde. "Niko!"

The Niloan turned in surprise. His face lit up at the sight of his brother. Then he was hit with a huge hug from both, making him laugh loudly. Jesse the ostrich preened nearby, but seemed happy as he watched his summoner with a soft eyes.

The laugh cracked my smile a little wider. I looked around.

Tazi was reuniting with a stout woman, who I recognized from the kitchens. Another boy stood nearby, grinning. His friend, maybe?

A tall man with regal bearing had greeted Lucia, his face shining with pride. She'd embraced him, talking fast. Elle nosed him as well, mussing the man's hair as he hugged his daughter.

"Mother?" Zay's surprised, hopeful question drew my gaze.

A small woman with dirty blond hair nodded, smiling.

"You're here!" Zay flung her arms around her mother's neck, Olraz winding around her ankles. "But Father–"

"He's indisposed." She cut her off with a wink.

Zay gasped. "You didn't!"

Her mother just wiggled her brows and hugged her again.

"Sabien!"

I turned, finding Navia. She was walking over, a red headed man trailing in her wake. Cerco bounded playfully at her side, an Arctic fox chasing him.

"This is my uncle," she introduced. "Uncle, this is Sabien."

He offered a smile that reminded me of Navia's. "Call me Po." He reached out a hand.

I shook it. "Hi."

"Did your family make it? Are they around here somewhere?" He asked.

I winced. "No, I don't think they cared enough. They were always Conqueror supporters anyway."

Navia reached for my hand. I squeezed it gently.

The others had returned to our sides. Their family members followed.

Lucia introduced her father, Lord Koran. He seemed nice, if a bit stiff and formal.

"At least we know where Lucia got it from," I giggled to Eldya, who perched on my shoulder.

Aiden and Jayde greeted us with grins, telling us about their adventures across Nilo.

Flynn said hello with a huge hug for all of us. I tickled Zazu, his bat, under the chin.

Tazi's mother, Diane, hugged each of us as well, then commented loudly on how thin we all were. She promised a feast for that evening, smiling widely.

Zay introduced her mother as Lily. She shook all of our hands. Despite looking pretty much exactly like her daughter, the warmth on her face made her into a completely different person.

"I don't need my family." I realized then, leaning over to mutter it to Navia.

She raised a brow.

"I have you guys." I kissed her softly, smiling.

"Eww, right in front of us?" Lucia teased.

The others laughed.

"Oh shut up, Lucia, we've all been waiting for you to kiss Niko." Navia retorted good-naturedly.

The Euran's face flushed.

Niko blushed as well.

"Kiss kiss kiss!" Aiden chanted, teasing his brother.

Niko turned to Lucia, quirking a brow. She blushed. They leaned together carefully.

We all cheered as they pulled away, both redder than tomatoes.

"Before you say anything," Zay growled in warning as we turned expectantly to her and Sasha. She grabbed his collar and pulled him roughly into lip-lock.

Another whoop went up.

I laughed as Sasha stumbled back, looking dizzily pleased.

Navia startled me then, wrapping me in a hug.

After a moment of surprise Niko joined, followed by Sasha and Tazi. Lucia came next. Zay groaned as we beckoned her in, but I could see her biting back a smile as she joined the group hug.

I closed my eyes and smiled genuinely. I didn't ever want to let go. I finally felt at home somewhere. And I never wanted the feeling to end.

Annnd that's a wrap

Well, kinda. Epilogue is on its way so stick around!!
Thanks for all the support my lovelies xx