Chapter Two// Voyage

Zay
I stood on the battlements, the freezing drizzle soaking my hair and clothing. My eyes followed the small group of Greencloaks as they boarded their ship and set sail for Stetriol. Olraz was curled around my neck, his tongue flicking out and occasionally brushing my cheek. I sighed, shaking the uneven strands of hair out of my eyes.

A door opened behind me, Sasha's head poking out. "Zay?"

"Coming." I hummed, hesitating another moment before following him inside.

Our team was gathered inside, packs stuffed with provisions on their backs as they listened to Olvan explain, for the millionth time, what our plan was. Once he was done, Tyler took charge and led the way down to the harbour. The Tellun's Pride II was docked and waiting, exactly where we'd left it when we'd arrived a mere three weeks earlier. As we boarded, I couldn't tear my eyes from the churning black water.

"Let's go!" The captain shouted as we trudged on deck, sliding on the rain-slicked wood. "This water isn't good for the whales, we have to get moving as soon as possible."

"All this water isn't good for me, either." Sasha grumbled. When I didn't laugh, he shot me a concerned glance. "You okay?"

"Yeah." I half-shrugged and turned away, seeking solitude.

~
Within two days we'd reached open water and the rain decided to let up, much to Sasha's relief.

"You know, I never thought I'd say this, but I'm kind of glad to be on a boat." The Zhongese boy commented to me as we walked over deck toward Tyler. He'd been conducting training for us during the voyage, along with some other Greencloaks.

"Oh?" I stepped around a barrel, shooting an amused glance toward him. "Why's that?"

"Well..." he paused, trying to find the right words. "It's easy to forget what's going on. It's calm... and I guess everything has just been too restricting lately. I like to see the endless horizon, you know?"

I let out a laugh, surprised. "Wow, that's almost deep. Who knew you could actually think like that?" I pushed him lightly.

"Oh, shut up." He laughed as well, almost falling over Delar, who let out an annoyed hiss. "Sorry D." Sasha quickly apologized. The jaguar glared at him for a moment, then looked away, accepting the apology.

I chuckled at the interaction, reminded of how their bond had been the first time I'd met them. "Come on."

We jogged over to our guardians, joining the group alongside Lucia and Niko. Lishay, one of the other Greencloaks on board their ship, was explaining a specific battle tactic, her black tiger sitting nearby.

Just before they split off into groups to practice, a messenger pigeon landed on Tyler's arm. He glanced at it, surprise lighting his features as he reached over to take the letter out of its water-tight capsule.

"What's it say?" Lizzie asked as his hazel eyes scanned over it.

"Olvan's ship is taking a detour." He responded slowly, "he doesn't want too many ships in the same waters at once. They'll meet us in Stetriol."

I nodded. "Makes sense. It'll draw attention."

"Which is something we can't afford." Tyler agreed, tucking the note in his pocket and offering the pigeon some water. It flew off soon after. "Alright. Back to training."

~
The next week was an endless cycle of anxiety and training. As we approached Stetriol, the adults grew more and more strict. Worry was like a heavy blanket over the ship, and you could cut the tension with a knife.

"Can you blame them, though?" Navia asked when I expressed my observations to her. "We're going to the heart of the enemy, into a battle we might not win." She glanced at me, green eyes unreadable. "Frankly, I'm terrified."

I drew my knees up to my chest. "I guess." I didn't know how I felt. Sure, the impending battle was a scary thing to think about, but I was more worried about our arrival in Stetriol... and what may await me there.

Apparently, I hadn't hidden my thoughts as well as I'd thought, since Navia read them off my face with a single look. "We're going to avoid all the villages we can." She mentioned, "you won't have to face your parents."

I leaned back, my head against the salty wood of the ship. "... you don't know that."

"I do." Navia sat up in her hammock, her expression earnest. "Because even if you do have to face them, you'll have all of us. You won't be alone."

"Okay, I guess you're right." I frowned at her. "How are you, by the way? Tyler's disappointed that you're missing training."

Navia rolled her eyes, surprising me. "Tyler's disappointed all the time. If he wants me in training, then he'll have me. But he'll also have to clean up after me."

That made me snort. "I'll tell him that."

The defiance on her face vanished in an instant. "Please don't."

"I won't." I agreed, "I just wanted to see your face." I stood, ducking away from the pillow she hurled at my head, and started out of the cabin with a laugh.

On deck, Sasha greeted me. "You seem cheerful." He observed.

"That's because I am." I poked his arm.

"Might I ask why?"

"You wouldn't understand."

"Try me." He challenged.

"Fine." I shrugged. "I just spoke to Navia. She threw a pillow at me."

Sasha arched an eyebrow. "Okay then...?"

I rolled my eyes. "Told you you wouldn't understand."

He frowned. "Whatever." Sasha tucked an arm around my waist, pulling me flush against him.

I ignored the blush creeping up my neck and stared out over the water. "You're a dork, you know that?"

"Yes." I could feel his eyes on me. "But I'm your dork."

I blushed. "Whatever."

He chuckled, his gaze sliding away to survey the empty ocean. "Whatever indeed."

And so we stood together at the railing for a while, his arm around me. Delar sat at his feet, while both Xavier and Olraz curled around my ankles. We watched the horizon, each mentally preparing for our arrival. Again, my mind circled back to my parents, but Navia's words echoed in my head. Even if you do have to face them, you'll have all of us. You won't be alone. I squared my shoulders and exhaled softly. I wouldn't be alone.

So uh-
That kinda sucked ngl
But whatever. It's kinda a time lapse of their voyage?? Next chapter will be up soon, so keep an eye out. (I did manage to get the book by the way, so it will make sense with the story!) Thank you guys for reading! Stay healthy and safe! xx