13: Family Business

The day of Felix's cousin's wedding had arrived.

The wedding was like a scene from a high-production Hollywood movie. What role did I play? I was an unwritten character, a passive extra in the backdrop.

I was the silent, compliant hostage of my enemy under the guise of his date. No one could tell. I maintained a blank expression and went through the motions, numb to everything.

The elegant dress hugged and accentuated my small curves. I wore soft makeup that gave off a carefree, sweetheart look. I had also straightened my hair and curled the ends so it fell to bra-strap length. I looked like "one of them."

I was stuck sitting alone with my captor, since due to a seating mixup we got separated from the rest of his family. We didn't exchange a single word. I silently watched as the enchanted wedding took place. The bride arrived to the church in horse-drawn carriage and she was escorted in by her dad and about 16 assistants who carried the never-ending train of her gown.

The groom and bride exchanged vows, telling tear-jerking stories about how they first met and fell in love and would stand by each other for the rest of eternity.

Both the bride and groom looked like supermodels, and radiated an air of status and wealth. It was radiating from all of the wedding attendees as well.

After the marriage took place in the church, it was an hour drive to the wedding reception. The psychopath's ride for the day was a green sporty BMW M5. "You're driving today, kiddo. My head is spinning and I feel like crap," Felix said, tossing me the car key.

I entered the address to the wedding venue in the GPS to begin the navigation. Felix dozed off as soon as I put the car in drive. I instantly had sinister thoughts.

I should kill him and get rid of my problems.

I can drive up a cliff and throw his body over the edge.

I can drive the car over the side rail of the highway and kill us both.

No. I don't like that last idea.

I can probably find a weapon inside of the car to kill him with.

My heart rate increased as I thought of how to carry out Felix's murder.

I pulled the car over into a convenience store parking lot. Felix didn't stir.

I reached under the driver's seat, checked the pocket behind the passenger's seat, then opened the glove compartment. In the glove compartment, there was a gun. I had never held a gun before. I delicately lifted the nylon and steel object and ran my hand over the word RUGER.

With a trembling hand, I pointed the gun at Felix's temple. I held my breath. I moved my finger to the trigger.

I pressed it.

Nothing happened.

Disappointed, I shook the gun and realized it was so lightweight that it must not have been loaded.

I put the gun back in the glove compartment, and drove the rest of the way to the wedding. I'll just have to find something at the wedding and kill him on the ride back, I thought.

*************************************************

The wedding reception venue was a huge, elegant dome with a gold arching ceiling that was lined with flecks of bronze and brown. Long, sheer white curtains rained down from the ceiling adding a majestic touch that extended the fairytale-like atmosphere. Light projectors cast down soft pink rays onto the center of the dance floor. The tables for guests lined the outer circle of the venue, covered in white linen table cloths that were meticulously decorated with live floral arrangements.