SEVEN

Allan had been sick with infection only a few times in his life but never had he felt as if his body was on fire. Yet, at the same time, he was cold. His foggy mind wouldn't allow him to think, but even if he did, he wouldn't be able to speak due to the way his teeth chattered as chills violently shook through him.

Mrs. Kline had told him he had infection, and that's why he had a fever. He prayed the doctor's daughter would know how to treat him – or find someone who could. So far, the two women had added more logs in the fireplace and used cold, wet cloths to hang on his forehead. Neither one seemed to be working. He still felt like he was dying.

Perhaps being this way was a good thing. At least he wasn't able to become upset with Victoria or think about how she may have ruined his life. He'd worry about that later. Right now, he just wanted his body to stop aching.

He dozed off and on throughout the morning, but when he opened his eyes, Victoria was by his side. Her worried expression tugged at his heart. When she met his gaze, she smiled tenderly. For a brief time, staring into her pretty face gave him a moment of peace. It seemed as his body didn't ache, and he didn't feel like he was dying. Sadly, it only happened for a few seconds, and then it was gone.

Victoria was the woman replacing the wet cloths on his head. However, this time when he opened his eyes, she was beside him sliding her arm underneath his shoulders as she gently lifted him.

"Alan, I need you to sip this tea."

Once he was propped up enough, she lifted a teacup to his mouth. He took a taste and grimaced. "What is this?"

"It will help bring down your fever. It has a mixture of ginger, garlic, and basil, with honey to sweeten the taste."

She tried lifting it to his mouth again, but he turned his face away from her. He was sure the doctor's daughter put together this concoction, but it smelled something terrible.

"Please, Alan." Victoria's voice softened. "Your fever is too high. We are trying to lower it, but nothing is working."

The emotion in her cracked voice was what made him look at her again. Tears were in her eyes as she tried to smile at him. He realized that he didn't like seeing her this way. Mainly because it made him feel guilty for being the one who made her cry.

He nodded and lifted his head slightly. When he drank again, he forced it down. He hoped she didn't want him to drink off of this because his stomach might protest.

"Do you want me to add more honey?" she asked sweetly. "I know it tastes awful, but it will help. I promise."

"Yes." His voice croaked. "More honey."

With tender care, she laid him back down and pulled her arm away. Alan watched her hurry out of the room. His stomach twisted, but he didn't think it had anything to do with the terrible taste in his mouth. Instead, he knew it was her confession that made him this way.

The kiss they had shared earlier was so wonderful and perfect. He'd kissed many women, and yet, he'd never felt so much passion and desire as when Victoria was in his arms, kissing him. It hurt his head to think about it, but... could he marry Lydia now? If he went through with this wedding, would he think of Victoria every time he kissed Lydia? Would he always look at his new bride and wish her hair was vibrant red like her older sister's?

Closing his eyes, he willed the confusion to leave his mind. He could only handle one problem at a time, and right now, he needed to drink the disgusting tea and pray that his fever breaks soon before his hot body cooks his brain.

Finally, Victoria returned and resumed their position. She lifted the teacup to his mouth. He held her gaze as he drank the tea. Although it was still disgusting, the honey helped take the bitterness away.