TEN

Victoria hadn't gotten any sleep. Lydia had not returned home after leaving Savannah's house yesterday, and Victoria worried about what could have happened to her sister. Even Patience and Rachael were worried and had gone into town to see if anyone had seen Lydia. Nobody had.

It was difficult to tell Patience and Racheal about what Victoria did to Mr. Cartwright. Ashamed, she confessed to kissing him, which appalled both of her younger sisters. Victoria cried endless tears all day yesterday, and this morning, she didn't think she had any more tears left to cry.

She dressed for the day, ready to humble herself and grovel in front of the mayor so that he wouldn't release her from being a schoolteacher. She needed that job. How else could she keep her mind from remembering all that had happened and how many people she'd hurt?

As she walked into town, she rehearsed what she'd say to the mayor. He'd understand about the rainstorm keeping her from traveling, but she'd tell him how there'd been an accident and that she helped Savannah nurse a man back to health. Victoria prayed the mayor would believe her and give her the job back.

Finally, she reached the mayor's house, and her limbs shook with nervousness. Praying all would work out, she raised her shaking hand and knocked on the door. The door opened moments later, and the middle-aged man with receding brown hair looked at her in surprise.

"Miss Swanson? Are you all right?"

She swallowed hard as her throat suddenly became dry. "Yes, Mayor Bronson, but I'm so very sorry about being gone the past—"

"Yes, I know."

"You know?"

He nodded. "Mr. Cartwright came to see me yesterday. He explained everything." The mayor's expression softened, and he touched Victoria's arm. "What a kind woman you are." Slowly, he shook his head. "If only everyone were as Christlike as you, Miss Swanson."

Christlike? She doubted that Christ ever hit someone over the head with a block of wood. "What... did Mr. Cartwright say exactly?"

"Only the truth." The mayor straightened his shoulders as his smile widened. "That you saw that he'd been hurt when his wagon tipped, and you took him to Mrs. Kline's house so that she could help you care for the injured man."

Oh, dear... Alan was at it again, spreading around false information, just like he'd said to Lydia yesterday. "Yes, well... leaving the children unattended was very irresponsible of me."

"It was what you had to do, Miss Swanson. Besides, they weren't unattended. Miss Chambers had taken charge since she was the oldest in the room. She will make a good teacher herself in a year or two."

Victoria's heart softened. Her brightest student, Diana Chambers, stepped up and did what was expected. Victoria would certainly have to reward her for being so responsible.

"Oh, how... wonderful." Victoria's smile wasn't full, only because the rhythm of her heartbeat quickened. Should she tell the mayor that Alan had stretched the truth? Yet, she might indeed lose her job, then. "So, can I assume that everything is all right at the schoolhouse?"

"Yes, Miss Swanson." He motioned in the direction of the school. "But I'm sure your students will be very happy to see you today."

"Then, I'll hurry before they start arriving."

"Good day, Miss Swanson."

Victoria walked briskly as her mind clouded in confusion. Why would Alan do that? Unless he had forgiven her and tried to help her as she had helped him. Tears stung her eyes, but she blinked them away. She couldn't become emotional again. Indeed, he was a very sweet and forgiving man and would be the perfect husband for Lydia.