Episode : 15

Mom announces that the happy couple will marry next week, causing double-takes all around. Seung-jo had meant to marry after graduation, but she points out that there’ll always be something to wait for — internship, residency, his army obligation — so they may as well do it now.

Ha-ni shares the news with her friends at the noodle shop, which seems like a pretty insensitive place to do it, considering that Joon-gu is nursing his broken heart by throwing himself into working there. But I suppose we need them here so we can witness the odd introduction of a new girl, who arrives for some noodles.

Her appearance throws everyone off because she’s Caucasian. Everyone is anxious at having their precarious English tested, but as it turns out, she’s fluent in Korean (her mother is Korean). What a random scene, but the fact that it is so awkwardly shoehorned in here leads me to believe we’re being set up (clumsily) for something.

Ha-ni and Seung-jo go ring and dress/tux shopping — or at least attempt to. Ha-ni is excited about all these plans, and tries to convince Seung-jo to participate, but he grumbles at each step of the way.

Ha-ni urges him to get a ring as proof of their love, adding that he has to let people know that he’s taken. He notes that she really means for the ring to act as shackles, and leaves the store. He balks at a photo shoot and buying a tux, because in his uber-logical robot brain, the ceremony is a waste of time and money. He tells Ha-ni that even when they’re married, he won’t just bend over backwards to suit her preferences. She points out that he’s never done that.

He starts to blame his mother for pushing, but Ha-ni wisely sees that Mom’s not the problem. Why did he announce that he’d marry her if he was going to be like this? Seung-jo doesn’t know and sighs that he regrets it, then adds that they ought to reconsider.

With only a few days remaining until the wedding, Ha-ni is dejected and confused. Her friends assure her that Seung-jo’s just being his usual difficult self, but he doesn’t mean to really call it off.

Sure enough, Seung-jo comes back to his senses (seriously, boy? It’s that hard for you to understand that a wedding is important to women?) and visits Ha-ni’s father. To Ha-ni’s surprise, Seung-jo takes the two of them on a road trip to visit the graves of her mother and grandmother.

Seung-jo has come to pay his respects to them, and introduces himself as “son-in-law.” He says, ” I’ve already gotten in trouble for not listening to Ha-ni. But don’t worry, I’ll take good care of her.”

Ha-ni’s still feeling stung and mutters that she hates him, but then shakes her head and amends, “No, I like you. Thank you.”

Now he’s more willing to discuss wedding plans, and although he initially scoffs at the idea of a honeymoon, he relents and tells her to pick the place. She decides an island vacation would be nice (thinking of a beach resort), and Seung-jo makes her happy by readily agreeing… until he asks, “How about Yeouido? Or Bamseom? Or Dookseom?” LOL.

(Those are technically little islands in Seoul, on the Han River, but barely qualify as such. It’s like asking for Hawaii and having your husband suggest Long Island or Staten Island instead.)

Seung-jo pulls out his phone and makes a deal with her: If he turns up a three-of-a-kind on his game, he’ll agree to her choice. She chants, “Jeju Island” over and over, willing the game to go her way — and when it does, she squeals in glee and dances around him. Then we see that it’s rigged to always yield a three-of-a-kind. Gah, Seung-jo! Would it break some sort of circuitry in your brain to simply agree? You are a tiring man-boy.

On the eve of the wedding, Ju-ri and Min-ah come over for a sleepover and present Ha-ni with pink lingerie for her honeymoon.

Next door, the brothers share a moment as Eun-jo comments on all of Ha-ni’s flaws, though without his usual scorn. He declares that while he’s going to marry a much prettier, smarter girl, he approves of his hyung’s choice: “I really like you, hyung, but it’s true that there are problems with your personality. So I think you have to marry a girl like Oh Ha-ni. You’re doing the right thing. Congratulations!” It’s kind of adorable.