Chapter 1

When I was younger my mother would always tell me to be careful with who I was talking with, for there are monsters who hide behind gentle faces and sweet words. It never truly sunken in until I came face to face with one of those said monsters.

    It was on November 29th, 1913, I was fifteen when it happened, when my mother Lilith, met her demise at the hands of those said monsters. This monster came into our life like a knight in shining armor. He was a tall man with a tidy mustache and hair that never seemed to be out of place. His eyes were the color of the deepest parts of the ocean, it always seemed like no light ever reached the depths of his irises. When he spoke it always felt like he was hiding something, but to mother, he was the perfect gentleman, even when he was mad he never raised his voice.

     Mother met him quite a few times before introducing him to me. She wanted to make sure that he fit her expectations before he even knew who I was. He didn't even know I existed until she was satisfied with his behavior. Whenever he would come over he would bring me a new dress and a bundle of flowers. I always thought it was quite strange but my mother would always say that he was just trying to get to know me.

     A few months after meeting him, he decided to ask Mother for her hand in marriage. Mother at first was hesitant, but soon she agreed, at this time I was only thirteen.

      Soon after the wedding, everything started to change, for Mother the changes were the best thing to ever happen to her, but for me, everything started to go downhill. It first started a few months after moving into our new house. On August 20th, 1911 the night of my birthday, the day I turned thirteen was the first time. The day started out amazing but slowly as it got closer to midnight things started to happen, Mother decided to retire early for the day leaving Jared, my step-father, and I. Everything seemed to be fine until he started to touch me, at first it was normal like hugs and gentle pats on the knees, but soon it all took a turn for the worse. I told him to stop but no matter how many times I pleaded, he never listened. I tried to fight and get away, but every time I resisted he would wrap his hand around my throat and squeeze until I couldn't see nor breathe. Soon after that, it became a reoccurring event, and every time I would resist he would hurt me more. One night he told me if I ever tried to tell my Mother he would kill her and me. So I never told.

       This lasted for two years, but it all soon came to a stop one night. It all started the same as it has for the past two years, he came into my room telling me to undress and lay down. Doing as he says I strip to my undergarments and make my way to my bed, laying down. I try to be as still and quiet as possible. I could smell the liquor on his breath from the moment he walked in. 

      Today he wasn't being as quiet, he stumbled over to me knocking over things. I was terrified that Mother would hear and walk into something she doesn't need to see. With a gruff grunt, he jumps on top of me. Feeling tears start to appear in my eyes, I try to hold them in. I couldn't let him see me cry, for if he did he would definitely be more violent. He starts to slide his hand up my leg getting closer. I try not to cry or squirm around with the fear of getting beaten. Not being able to hear over the pounding of my heart, Jared is ripped off of me. Shaking without any control I sit up and hear a familiar voice. "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING TO MY BABY, YOU SICK FUCKER!" My Mother screams at the top of her lungs clenching her fists ready to beat him to death. Standing up on shaky legs I run over to my discarded clothes and throw them on. Finally dressed I rush over to Mother with tears pouring down my face. "Mommy I'm so sorry I never wanted to do this, I begged for him to stop but he never did! " Breaking out in uncontrollable sobs I reach out for my mother, wrapping my arms around her waist. Thinking she'd push me away I hold on tight, not noticing her pulling me in closer and away for that monster. "Oh my baby, my sweet baby, I know it's not your fault" She caresses my face wiping the tears away. Mother slowly releases my face and turns towards Jared "How fucking dare you lay a hand on her, she's just a fucking child, she's a fucking child! God damnit!!!" His face turns to a grin and he lets out a crazed laugh. "You married me bitch, I own you both!" Laughing uncontrollably Jared reaches into his suit pocket and slowly pulls out a gun. Mother's eyes widen with fear and in that split moment she yells, "Run!" Pushing me towards the door without any hesitation, I take off in a sprint. Mother calls out one last time "Don't you ever look back Athena!" Running down the stairs I stopped only for a split second, noticing that Mother wasn't behind me, 'Why isn't Mother coming?' Suddenly a single gunshot fills the air.