Chapter 9: Training Camp Is Fun, They Said

| Haruka Inejiro |

The sound of bats clanging and cleats scraping against crumbled dirt, reverberated across the field. It was usually music to Haruka's ears but at the moment, it was a heavy reminder that there were others going at it just as hard as he was. Haru panted heavily as he finished batting his 100th ball from the T. Digging his bat into the ground, he leaned into it. It was only the second morning of training camp, but his muscles already ached and burned.

"I think it's time to get breakfast," Kominato panted from beside him. The pink haired boy leaned forward in a similar position.

"Y-yea y-you go a-ahead," Haruka panted back. The curly blond had learned last night that the two boys were gunning for the same position. He had seen first hand, how talented the younger Kominato was. Haruka figured it wouldn't hurt to try to interact more, he didn't know the pink haired boy very well but he seemed kind. Plus, it seemed that he too was close to the other first years on the first string. They would be around each other more often than not.

Looking around as Kominato moved on ahead, Haruka nibbled on his bottom lip. He needed to find Chris-senpai. Maybe there was a way the older boy could sneak Haruka some food. He didn't think he'd be able to survive the rest of the day on lunch alone. He perked up as Chris-senpai approached him from the other direction. Just the person he was looking for.

"You look flushed," The older boy commented, a fiery determination in his eyes.

"I...Know," Haruka answered warily. He was still panting and had begun to feel lightheaded.

"I haven't seen you in the cafeteria for a few days."

"I...Know."

"You need to face this head on. You can't hide away from the rest of the team," Chris-senpai took the bat from Haruka carefully.

"Yea." Haruka breathed, standing upright. "Tomorrow," The curly blond added thoughtfully. Tomorrow was only an excuse. Anxiety swirled in the pit of his stomach as he brushed sweaty curls away from his eyes.

"Today," Chris-senpai corrected, grabbing onto Haruka's wrist.

"H-hey!" Haruka exclaimed in surprise. He was being dragged—not too gently, down the dirt path and in the direction of the canteen. "I'm not ready!" He squeaked, his voice cracking halfway through. If he had known Chris-senpai would be this insensitive to his issue, he would've escaped to the bench near the vending machine sooner. He gritted his teeth in irritation.

The older boy ignored his cries and clasped onto Haruka's hand. The curly blond jumped as Chris-senpai's hand engulfed his own. It was warm and rough, the many callouses decorating his palms were a testament to how hard he worked. The same could be said for Kazuya's. He wondered what his reaction would be if the other boy had decided to do what Chris-senpai had done. Blond curls flew as he shook his head. Why was he even thinking about that?

"You'll never truly be ready. But I promise I'll be there with you." With that, Chris-senpai squeezed his hand.

Haruka's heart skipped a beat in his chest. Emerald eyes burned at the care in his voice. He was glad that Chris-senpai hadn't looked back at him as he swiped at the few tears running down his cheeks. He would admit that the lack of sleep and food, had something to do with his sensitivity, but it had been a while since he actually felt cared for.