1 - Calling All Cadets

Summary — The cadets receive an call from Speedy to meet him at headquarters, where he has a surprise to reveal to them.

'Welcome cadets!' Rhonda greeted happily. 'What would you like today?'
'One kelp icer for Penny and three lemon coconut waters with a side of sunflower seeds please!' Swift leaned back, smiling as his eyes twinkled brightly. 'Sure is a nice day, huh?'
'Primo!' Brody nodded, taking his cup of lemonade. 'What could possibly go wrong?'

The cadets' watches buzzed and lit up with Speedy's face.
'Spoke too soon ...' Rod sighed, his comb drooping downwards. He placed his lemonade down and looked at his watch.
'Cadets, please report back to HQ for training. And ... I've got a surprise to tell you!'
'Ooh, a surprise?' Rod brightened.
'We'll be over right away!' Penny assured.
-----
The cadets raced into the room, exhaling fatigued laughs as the each of them claimed that they had arrived to the control room first.

'Speedy?' Swift ceased his laughter momentarily, 'you called?'
'Yup! Cadets, I hope you're ready for the news!' Speedy replied.
'I can't wait!' Penny gave a small squeal.

'Well, I've been having a discussion with Bea for a week or so about when we should tell you this, but we have come to a conclusion ... we've recruited a new cadet!'
'Primo! A new cadet!' Brody gasped in awe, looking around at his fellow cadets who had done the same.
'When will they arrive?' Rod questioned, whipping his head towards Speedy.
'It depends on how long it takes them to complete some tasks I've assigned, but hopefully, they'll be able to attend the academy soon!'
'Tasks? What are the tasks for?' Swift asked.
'I assigned a couple of badge tasks to do so the cadet could catch up,' Speedy continued. 'I'm sure the tasks will be completed within a month at least. Upon arrival, the cadet be able to earn vehicle related badges. After they get a hold of it during Virtual Reality Training, of course. Which reminds me, it's time for your training, cadets!'
-----
As the cadets walked with Speedy, Brody asked: 'Hey Speedy, I was wondering, we haven't seen a lot of Bea lately, is she working on something?'

'Well, with the new cadet joining our team, we have to have a vehicle ready beforehand, don't we?' Speedy said.

'Wait, are you saying Bea is constructing a vehicle? Wouldn't that take forever? I'm pretty sure the cadet will arrive by then,' inquired Rod.

Speedy chuckled. 'She's not constructing a vehicle, the reason being your point. We have the vehicles supplied by Top Wing's Head Office, which oversees all of the academies. Bea is fixing up any errors the cadet's vehicle has and keeping it in tip top shape just like she does with the rest of your vehicles! Though, I better remind her not to overwork herself ...'

The doors to the room of the Virtual Reality Simulator opened to let the cadets and Speedy in, and Swift had only just noticed that Speedy's tablet was resting on a sealed cardboard box that he was holding.
'Speedy, what's that box for?'

'Oh! I almost forgot. Do you mind running this down to Bea? It's the new cadet's belongings that we've just received. Just make sure to handle it carefully,' Speedy gave the box to Swift. 'And be sure to tell Bea to get some rest, there should be a mango swirlie on the panel for her when you past by the control room, if you could give that to her?'

'Okay Speedy! I'll be back in a flash for my training!'
-----
Knocking on the door, it slid open to reveal a frazzled Bea.
'Oh, hi Swift! What's that you got there?'

'Speedy told me to give this to you. He said it's the new cadet's belongings,' Swift handed her the box.
'Ah, great!' Bea nodded, taking the box into her hands. 'These should be the items for the bed compartment.'
'Are you okay Bea?' Swift asked. 'You seem tired ...'
'I am, don't worry,' assured Bea, smiling.

'Well, Speedy wanted me to give you this, and said that you should get some rest,' Swift gave Bea the glass of mango swirlie. She smiled as she took hold of the glass.
'Give Speedy my thanks. Hope you and the cadets do well in your training!'

As she turned away, and the doors closed behind her, Swift thought he could see a flash of purple in the distance.
-----
'I wonder who the cadet is?' Rod asked. 'Do you think they live on Big Swirl Island?'
'I think so, how else would Speedy know they're the right person to join the team?' Brody said. 'But who do you think is a possible candidate? Maybe of the Junior Cadets could be joining us? But they're also too young ...'
'We could look for clues?' Swift's mind was drawn back to the box Speedy had asked for him to carry.
The cadets all muttered in agreement.
'Well, good night everyone!' Penny closed her eyes.
'Goodnight!'

'Rod, you better not wake us up early in the morning or I'll "cock-a-doodle" do your head off!'