7 - A Cadet's First Day

Summary Speedy introduces the cadets to Tara. The rest of the cadets lead Tara around for a tour and introduce her to the many citizens of Big Swirl. Tara runs into familiar faces, one of them that she isn't too delighted to see, and the cadets find out a little more about who Tara is.

a/n: This chapter is more longer than regular chapters I've previously published!
Expect to see more longer chapters from here!

Swift glimpsed at Tara, his eyes meeting with hers, which gave Swift a warm, enveloping wave of peace. He was however, fazed by the uncanny familiarity of Tara's face, but he could not place her.

'You must be Swift, Penny, Rod and Brody? It's nice to meet you!' Tara greeted.
'It's a pleasure meeting you as well!' Swift welcomed, trying his best to ease Tara's agitation.
The rest of the cadets waved with a smile, and Tara couldn't help but smile back.

'Tara is our newly recruited mountain rescue cadet,' Speedy further introduced Tara. 'She specialises in mountain flying and will help with missions involving the high terrain.'
'That sounds awesome! ... What's the difference between mountain flying and normal or trick shot flying, like what Swift does?' Rod queried.

'Mountain flying is done by thinking about the outcome of various courses of action available to the pilot and weighing the options. This requires an understanding of the conditions of flight, the limitations of the airplane, the limitations of the pilot, and the procedures and techniques to be followed,' Speedy explained.

'For missions that no vehicles can't reach on the mountain, Tara will be able to use mountain climbing to rescue whoever needs it. Her vehicle is also specifically designed for mountain flying, and mountains in general,' added Bea.

'Can we take Tara on a brief tour of Big Swirl Island please?' Swift offered.
'Great idea! I need to touch up on Tara's vehicle anyways and Speedy can double check the virtual reality vehicle simulator training for when she comes back. Make sure you lot are back soon to show Tara around headquarters! Alright?'
'We will Bea!' Brody promised.
-----
'This is the Lemon Shack! Rhonda owns it and serves what I think is the best food!' Penny led Tara along. 'Want to try a kelp icer?'
'Sure!' Tara responded.
Swift, Rod and Brody all exchanged concerned looks with each other.
'Are ... you sure you want to?' Brody questioned.

To Swift, it seemed silly to ask himself, he knew she would say yes.
Well, somehow ...
'Yeah! It can't be that bad, can it?' Tara glanced over at Penny.

'Two kelp icers please, Rhonda!' Penny requested.
'Of course Penny! Though, two? Who's the second kelp icer for? I assumed the other boys never really liked the taste.' Rhonda handed Penny two kelp icers.

'Oh! Rhonda, meet Tara! You might've met her before? She's our new recruited cadet and friend!' Penny introduced Tara.
'Er— hello!' Tara greeted. 'I'm really sorry, I forgot to introduce myself earlier ...'
'It's no trouble at all, it' nice to meet you again Tara! I'm sure you'll be a wonderful addition to the team!'
'Oh, thank you! It's very kind of you to say that, but I can't be too sure yet,' said Tara.

'Don't worry, we think you are!' Swift reassured, his face glowed with aspiration, knowing that he considerably uplifted Tara as she smiled.
'Swift's right! Hey, how about we take you to—' Rod began, before he was interrupted.

'Well, well, well, if it isn't the cadets? Who's this you got here?'
Two bats dressed in all purple approached the cadets, and Tara's eyes widened. 'Baddy? Betty?'
The bats both raised their eyebrows, and Baddy exclaimed, 'Tara? I mean—' He cleared his throat as he quickly regained his composure. 'Tara ... what are you doing here?'

Tara hesitated before answering. 'Well, I'm a cadet now.'
'... You're a cadet now?' Betty asked. 'Oh, that's ... uh, great?'

'Woah, woah, woah, let me get this straight! How do you two even know her?' Rod asked.