Chapter 1: Creatures of the Night

++++++

The town of Beacon Hills was enjoying a steady time of peace. Scott, Stiles, Sabrina, Lydia, Malia and Kira were able to finish their junior year and Liam his freshman year without any more threats coming for them. When the summer started, that peace seemed to extend and everyone was ready to enjoy their last summer before their senior year started.

++++++

Scott and Sabrina were sitting on the front of Stiles' jeep, looking at the stars, while Stiles was leaning on the side. He was gazing down at a California map. He had made some marks on the San Francisco area and surrounding counties.

"All right, so I found some cool two bedrooms in the Mission District but they're pretty expensive. A couple in Haight and Ashbury are also expensive." 

"What about Berkeley? Don't a lot of students live around there?"Sabrina asked. Stiles nodded. "Yeah, we could try Nob Hill but the Jeep would probably burn through a lot of clutches." 

Scott looked over at his best friend. "You're bringing the Jeep?" he asked him as Stiles and Sabrina looked over at him in disbelief. "You know the plan, okay. No one gets left behind. That's the plan. Lydia's not gonna have a problem getting into Stanford. Kira's thinking USF. Malia's, uh, gonna, you know, she'll figure something out, okay. The plan's perfect."

"Yeah, Scott, no one gets left behind," Sabrina said.

"Or we could also wait until we actually get into college and then figure out where to live." Scott says making Stiles scoff. "I have a vision, dude. Okay?" "And it is a beautiful vision," Sabrina said patting her boyfriend's shoulder before turning to look at her twin with a glare. "Don't ruin the vision." 

Scott nodded before looking back up at the stars while Stiles went back to his map. "Okay, we can check out the East Bay." "What about Oakland? You haven't looked at that yet," Sabrina comments making Stiles nod, circling Oakland. He looks up at Scott, noticing that he was quiet.

"You're all right? You're starting to feel it?" Tonight was a full moon and like every other full moon, Stiles was worried about his girlfriend and his best friend losing control but they never once did.

Scott was still staring at the sky and he turned to gaze at the full moon. "No. Just thinking." he said with a shrug. "About what?" "Senior year," he mumbled.

"Senior year, come on, that's...that's nothing. That's going to be easy." Stiles said assuring Scott. "It's more like something Deaton told me once." "What did he say?" Sabrina asked.

"You two ever hear of regression to the mean?" Scott asked them. 

"No."

"Yes."

Stiles and Sabrina looked at each other, as they had different answers to Scott's question.

"It was his way of saying that life can't ever all be bad or all good. You know, eventually things have to come back to the middle. So, think about the last few months. Things have been good, right? But not amazing." Scott explained.

"Yeah, but no one's tried to kill us in six months either." Stiles said. "Right. We've been pretty much in the middle for a while. Which means, at some point, the scale has to tip one way or the other. Things are gonna get really good again-" "Or really bad." Stiles ended for him.

The two were silence until a crack of thunder sounded through the air. "You just had to jinx us didn't you?" Sabrina asked her twin who just shrugged his shoulders.

"Think it's been long enough?" Stiles asked the two.

"Yes!" Liam shouted off from the side.

Scott, Sabrina and Stiles took a look over where Liam was bound to a tree in thick chains. It was wrapped completely around him and the tree and was held by a steel lock. Liam had an annoyed look on his face.