Chapter Eleven

The concrete stairs that led up to the front of the Hendersons' two-story brownstone had been an oversight. It was only four steps, but it might as well have been a mountain. Raleigh was silent beside me as we both looked up at the incline to reach the porch.

My brain churned, working to figure out a solution. "There's a garage entrance on the ground level, but there's more stairs to get inside," I thought out loud. "I could try carrying you, or I could ask Mr. Henderson to help. He's a cop and he's huge. I bet he could pick you up no problem."

Raleigh touched her fingers lightly to my wrist, pausing my ramble. "I've got this," she said quietly.

"But how—"

"I've got this," she cut me off, her voice sharper than before.

Raleigh reversed her chair until her back wheels touched the outer edge of the bottom step. She twisted at her torso and reached backwards as far as she could and grabbed onto the black metal railing. She brought her free hand across her body and curled her fingers around the wheel closest to the railing. I watched in frozen amazement as she tugged herself up the stairs, one step at a time. She timed it just right, leaning back in the chair at the same moment that she pulled on the stair railing and the wheel of her chair, until she was on the elevated stoop.

"That was ... wow." It was probably no big deal to her, but it was singularly the most amazing accomplishment I'd ever been witness to.

Raleigh released a long, shaky breath. "Thanks." She shook out her arms and clenched and unclenched her hands. "That was quite the work out."

I had a key to the Henderson's house, but with them both home, I never liked to just let myself inside. I pressed the doorbell, and Raleigh and I waited on the front stoop.

Mr. Henderson answered the door seconds later. I rarely saw him in anything but his police uniform, but tonight he wore a meticulously tailored black suit. "Harper!" he greeted me with a broad smile. His eyes scanned over my face and then fell to Raleigh's. "And this must be the friend you were telling us about. It's nice to meet you."

Raleigh looked up at me. "You talk about me?"

I cleared my throat and hoped the heat I felt creeping onto my cheeks wasn't visible. "Only to ask them if I could bring you with me."

The awkwardness of the exchange went over Mr. Henderson's head and he stepped back to let us in. There was a slight lip of weather stripping around the entryway, and I nearly stumbled over myself to help Raleigh hurdle the obstacle until I remembered she'd just scaled stairs by herself. She was perfectly capable.

Mrs. Henderson's high heels clicked down the wooden staircase. Like her husband, she had ditched her usual garb for something more formal. The dark blue material of her evening dress contrasted attractively with her skin tone.

"You guys look fantastic," I appraised.

"You have a lovely home, Mrs. Henderson." Raleigh chimed in. "Thank you for letting me keep Harper company tonight."

"You're charming," my employer smiled. "I'm glad Harper brought you along."

"Where's Sasha?" I asked, craning my neck to spot my tiny charge.

"She's up in her room pouting," Mrs. Henderson revealed with a shake of her head. "I think she wanted to get dressed up tonight like Mom and Dad."

"That's adorable," I heard Raleigh mumble under her breath.

Mr. Henderson grabbed their jackets from the coat closet in the entryway while his wife gave me my instructions for the night.

"There's money pinned to the fridge for pizza." Mrs. Henderson was one of those parents who didn't allow soda and sugar in her pantry, but it was Chicago, so pizza was often on the dinner menu. "And the number for the reception hall is by the kitchen phone. It's out in Schaumberg, but if you need us, we're only a phone call away."