35. 𝒜𝒸𝒸ℯ𝓅𝓉𝒶𝓃𝒸ℯ

"𝒯𝒽ℯ𝓎 𝒽𝒶𝓋ℯ 𝓃ℴ 𝒸𝒽ℴ𝒾𝒸ℯ 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝓉ℴ 𝒶𝒸𝒸ℯ𝓅𝓉 𝓎ℴ𝓊, 𝒷ℯ𝒸𝒶𝓊𝓈ℯ 𝓎ℴ𝓊 𝒶𝒾𝓃'𝓉 𝓰ℴ𝒾𝓃 𝓃ℴ 𝓌𝒽ℯ𝓇ℯ"

November 20, 1992
.Izzy.
3:00 pm
Rochester, NY

3:00 pmRochester, NY

"1, 2, 3,4, 5,6,7,8...1, 2, 3,4, 5,6,7,8...1, 2, 3,4, 5,6,7,8.... creole lady mama laaade," I counted the cadence for our dance routine for Miss Patti LaBelles song bird album anniversary tribute at the soul train awards this January coming up (read chapter 32 for refresher). "Ight girls that's a wrap! Good job today" I announced before grabbing my bottled water and taking a sip.

"Whew, thank God...I'm tired as shit," Mani said, wiping sweat off her forehead. We'd been rehearsing since 9 this morning almost everyday now in preparation for Miss LaBelle.

" You probably pregnant after Stephen broke ya back in Trinidad," Mina joked.

Earlier this month Mani and Stephen took a trip to Trinidad for her birthday so that he could meet her extended family. Let's just say from the sounds of it they spent half of that time knockin boots.

"Bitch don't speak that into existence! I still have a lot of life to live!" Emani scrunched her face up.

"Daamn so it's fuck them kids?" I asked while smiling in anticipation for her answer.

"Heelll yeah it's fuck them kids!"

We all laughed at our friend although she was deadass serious. Shit I'm with her, kids are blessings and all but right now? I'm nowhere near ready, and I'm sure Devante would agree.

Speaking of Devante he should be pulling up any minute to pick me up. While we were rehearsing, he was working on buying all of Da Bassment crew's plane tickets so that they could see their families next week for Thanksgiving. Speaking of that, Devante had mentioned that he wanted me to meet his family for the Holidays but didn't give me much details on it.

Mina is bringing Pac home in San Diego to meet our family, Mani and Xina are both going home to their families as well for Thanksgiving. Honestly...I don't mind not coming home for the Holidays. All my Dad does is remind me and others why Tehmina is his favorite, and how I was always the "problem child." Even down to my health condition (read chapters 21 and 28 for refresher) which was always a struggle within this family especially with the hefty hospital bills.

Growing up, my parents always had to worry about making ends meet, a big part of it being because of my hospital bills. Of course my mother never held it against me because in her eyes, as long as her babies were taken care of she was happy. My father on the other hand, viewed that and me as a burden. Not only did he have to struggle financially because of my hereditary health condition that I inherited from HIS side of the family, he never wanted a second child in the first place. While Mina was planned after their marriage, I was the 'oops' baby. After years of being verbally abused and humiliated by my dad, I grew into a rebellious teenager. Always sneaking out, getting drunk, high, running away for days at a time. That really put a damper in not only the family but my mom and fathers marriage.