Epilouge

The throne is full tonight, just like every other night.
The people of Faerie still drink, feast, dance, celebrate in honor of the High King and me, the High Queen. Former Serpent, and Serpent Slayer.
A pair, I tell myself. Cardan, and I are an undeniable pair. But whenever I look to my left, when I look at him, it's like some part of him is not the same. It's as if the Serpent took something out of him.
I keep telling myself that it was only three days, three days that he was trapped in the void of darkness the serpent held him captive. I want to tell myself that it is not that bad as I imagine it to be.
I could always just ask him, but the only free time we are able to get during the days is when we are sitting on the dias, watching over our people.
Our people.
I often catch myself reminding myself that these lands are now both his and mine. That in some mysterious way, a mortal like me was able to work her way up to a seat in the throne room, a seat directly next to the king.
Over a month ago I was standing beside him, his senchal, with only three outfits. Trying to be a Puppeteer to a man who I sometimes convinced myself did not really need me.
I told myself he chose me. After the knife I held to his neck, the bow I held to his face, and the kiss I forced upon him.
At that my cheeks start to heat. I look over to see Cardan now staring at me, grinning as slyly as ever. His hair is slicked back tonight shining brighter than usual as if he used an entire container of grease to achieve the look.
Without the usual gold streaks in his hair, he looks slightly older and more mature. More of a man. Even his choice of outfit tonight compliments the look.
An all black doublet with matching pants threaded with silver at the seams, and a simple sliver of silver fox hide across him. A look that was less grand, but well suited for a ruler who knew he did not have to force the look of the ruler given that he had already earned every single right.
However, two things remain the same. The shine of his glossy black eyes, which I am quite sure entrances every courtier, and the new Crown of Elfhame which still lays crooked along his brow.
I'm glad some things haven't changed, I tell myself. But then I return my focus to Cardan's lips, which are still lightly curved upwards to me. I want to ask him what he is looking at so stupidly, with that stupid crown always tilted in that somehow dicomforting yet familiar way. But I swallow those childish instincts of mine, and I let the heat fully take over my face.
"Why so pink, my love?" he asks.
Without needing a mirror I know my face reddens more. I want to look away from him, and compose myself. But I keep my eyes on him, "Can a Lady not blush when sitting next to her Husband? Her King." I hope that came out as smooth as I wanted it to.
His grin only widens, "I suppose it depends on what the Kings Wife was thinking about," he keeps his eyes glued on me. "Care to share?"
At this I smile back. If it's one thing I know how to do, especially with Cardan, is play games.
"Your Highness," I say softly, seductively, knowing all too well of what I am doing, "I could show you better than I could ever tell you."
At the finish of that very sentence, I am very aware of how the golden rims of his eyes flicker with growing interest. "Are you suggesting that take a moment behind the thrones?" He asks.
Before I know it, we are behind the dias, in a private room I know all too well. Here we are while the party goes on, only a few feet away from the Court. A few feet away from everyone, and the thought excites me to the core as he is undoing me and I am undoing him.
And we both are undone.