Part 3

“Most people who are alive or exist are real, I guess.” she said sarcastically. And I must say, I loved the way she was being sarcastic. I love sarcasm.

“Please, come in.” I invited her to my prison, which I am supposed to call home. But a home is place where a family lives, shares secrets, love each other and here, I live alone, with a telephone and caretaker who comes every morning and leaves in the evening. And these nights, they kill me, everytime I lie in bed to sleep.

She stepped inside, with her bare feet, looking all around the house. “Why don’t you open the curtains and let the positive vibes of sun accompany you? Believe me, staying in dark won’t help you in your loneliness.” She said all this and got up to open the curtains and windows. Suddenly the whole hall was full of light and of course her smile.

“Tea or Coffee?” I asked.

“I’ll make it. Tell me what do you like more.” She replied.

I showed her the way to kitchen. Though being a civilized man, it was my responsibility to ask her to sit and ask the caretaker for it but I didn’t. Maybe I just wanted to taste love once more.

She was making coffee. And my love was on fire. I wanted to confess it all. Say that I want to spend the rest of the days of my life with her. Before i could say anything, she broke the silence.

“Enjoy your first and last coffee with me.”

“What do you mean by last? We’ve just met.” I said this with my heart beating faster than usual.

“I am leaving for America tomorrow evening. My son wants me to spend my last years with him.” She said this with a broad smile on her face, but I could notice that a tear sparkled right in the corner of her left eye, which she tried to wipe out.

“I’ll drop you tomorrow.” I said this pointing at my white Ambassador, which could be seen clearly from the first window of the hall.

She smiled and nodded her head.

We talked a lot for an hour. None of us showed our true feelings to each other. Well that wasn’t even required. When it’s deep, you don’t need words. 

“See you tomorrow. Pick me up at 8 in the morning.” She said this and left, while I remained seated there for the next few hours. Don’t know why but I slept well that night, filled with emotions.

I woke up early next morning. Got ready and wore my Jodhpuri coat. I was happy that finally I’ll be going on a long drive with her to Dehradun and at the same moment I was sad that the joy won’t last long. I sat in my Ambassador and put it on ignition. It started in the very first try. Maybe she heard our conversation last night. On my way to her house, I bought a bouquet of white dandelions for her.

Soon I reached her house. Parked the Ambassador near the main gate and walked towards the house door. I was about to make a knock on the door when someone called me. I turned to look who it was.

“Kisse milna hai sahib aapko?Gharpe koi nhi hai”.(You wanna meet someone? Actually no one's at home). It was the watchman.

“Kahaangye sab?” (Where did they go?) I enquired.

“Memsahab aaj subah 6 bje hi chalegye Dehradun ke liye.Unka beta wahin se unko apne saath America le jaayega.” (Madam left at 6 in the morning with her son for Dehradun. They'll leave for America from there only).

So this was it.

My love story.

An Old Age Love Story, which ended before it’s start.