BLOODY MARY

His head span under the bright flood of white light. Detective van Dukhevic woke up chained to the ceiling, standing beneath a harsh spot light. To his side was grace, unconscious but breathing.

“grace?” He called softly.

“i think ms. Bulundo is a bit pre-occupied.” Came a familiar voice.

Before the mighty detective stood his captor, the bakers field shadow killer.

‘oh! It’s you. Hi!’ duke said rolling his eyes at him.

“how do you honestly manage to be so comical, even when you’ve lost Mr. Van Dukhevic?” He asked him as he sat back in his chair.

‘well my mother always said it was genetic.’

The man threw his head back in a hysterical laughter, clapping his hands and stomping his feet.

‘yeah yeah laugh it up,’ he said, ‘and would it kill you to turn down the lights? Jeez i think batman gets the message.’

“i wish i could but everything i do, i do with an aim to achieve an end.” The shadow man said.

‘speaking of an end, where’s your partner in crime, huh? Marcus.’

The shadow man sat still for a moment, he was silent.

‘yeah i know who and what you are, you creep, so just take it off and show us.’

Though reluctant, he just that.

Dr. Marcus removed his black mask and revealed his true face.

“bravo detective!” He cheered clapping his hands.

‘yeah i know, I’m awesome. Hey! Where’s Marie?’

“Oh yeah she has some other unfinished business she’ll be with us soon.”

‘well that sucks. Really needed to discuss the terms of our relationship. Especially the part about aiding and abetting a killer.’

“well you know us country bumpkins,”
‘speaking of what happened to that playful southern accent.’

“community theatre over in Westleton county is a great gift from the state.”

‘okay, you got me. Seeing as you were on a revenge tour and Rian ain’t here- you got him too.’

“wow! Do you do this for a living?” He asked him mockingly.

“see? You’re not the only one who can crack a joke.”

‘yeah i try.’ duke replied equally as sarcastic.

“i put six bullets in that fat shit,’ Marcus raised his finger gun imitating his previous actions.

‘well are you gonna kill me or what? I’ve got a mum in heaven I’ve been meaning to see.’

“me? I would never!” He said holding an insane smile.

He laughed, “you’re way, and i mean way too fun.”

“I mean you’ve been a real rush. I’ll tell you that.”

‘well im glad to have helped satisfy your high.’ duke said.

“I haven’t this much fun on years! I put a plan together to kill someone- there you are, i try to hire a gang of thugs- but their too scared, i kill the don’s son! You have half of bakers fields crack heads knocking down doors and lurking in bushes behind you, but you’re still alive!”

And this sent him laughing into the hollow building.

‘yeah I’m a lot tougher to kill, let me out of these chains and I’ll show you.’