Chapter two

I shifted over to the side and slowly open my eyes. The sun was beaming through the open blinds, that I stupidly forgot to shut last night, directly in my face. I turned over and pulled my pillow over my face, groaning while I did so, I checked the time. I have a small analog clock on my bedside table, it read 7:45 am. I always appreciate the fact that I wake up early on my own and that I'm not needed at work until 9 am.

Instead of pushing my luck, I decided to get out of bed instead of turning back over. I stand and walk towards the direction of the kitchen. Just before I reached the entryway, I noticed the mess I left by the front door, that trails to the bathroom. I wave my hand in the direction of the mess and the clothes disappeared. I walk into the kitchen and start up the coffee machine.

'Some muggle items are a live saver.'

Working at the Ministry helped introduce me to muggle things and I thought a coffee maker was harmless so I opted to try it out, and I haven't gone a day without it since.

While the coffee is getting ready, I got back to my room to get dressed. I walked towards the large dark oak wardrobe and opened it. After looking through it for a couple of minutes, I decide on a short sleeved black and white top that was fitted until the bottom of my bust then flared out, and a simple black pencil skirt that fell just above my knees and a pair of small black flats. I never really was one for heels. I glanced into the mirror, fairly pleased with my outfit choice, I then head back to the kitchen and fetch my long awaited coffee. I checked the time again, 8:05.

'Not bad timing Y/n. I still have a spare minute'.

With my mug, I walked across the kitchen and into the dining room to sit at the table that is much too large for me alone. I chose to read The Daily Prophet and slowly enjoy my beverage. By the time I've finished the coffee, and the current events section, I just went ahead and chose to leave for work. I grabbed my bag and head out the door. By now it's only 8:25, so I elected to walk to work. Taking in the silent morning, I stopped to listen to the birds for a second. I can't help but wonder what it was like to be free, free of all responsibilities and tasks, not being forced to follow your families perfect image, working till you no longer know yourself, just to be able to do whatever you want.

As I approached my office building, I had pushed those thoughts out of my head. I head directly to the elevators to go straight to my office. When I walked the corridor, I noticed that hardly anyone is here yet which isn't surprising seeing that employee presence isn't required at the office until 9:30. I finally reached my office door and I quickly opened the door to get inside, being sure to shut it behind me. 

I don't have the patience to deal with my boss today, at least not this early, and I'm practically petrified to face Narcissa. So, for the first time in a long while, I opted for my door to remain shut. I took notice of a new stack of parchment on the corner of the desk and just sat down to work. At least it's quiet now that the door is shut.

'Well today there aren't as many cases of muggle witnesses as yesterday but still, really?! Come on people! Just keep the magic inside the house!' 

The first report I read was of a wizard using magic to tend to his garden without realizing that his muggle neighbor was watching. The next one I saw was a young witch that used magic outside of Hogwarts before the age of 17. Quickly, I got to work on these reports. Several hours go by until I had realized, Thicknesse hasn't bothered me all day. 

'Maybe I should keep my door shut more often?'  

I stole another glance at the clock, taking note that it's only 3:45 pm.

'Wow I can work fast without distractions' 

I signed off on my last report and banish the rest of the them, I was just hoping that my boss wouldn't barge into my office today. I really liked to have peaceful days at work. However, I had gotten my hopes up. Just as I sat back to relax into my chair, the office door is flung open by Thicknesse.

"I need those reports!" He slurred and almost sounded drunk. 

"I'm sorry sir, but I have already sent them to your desk." I try to say confidently but not too loud as to come off as talking back.

"Oh, uh, well, thank you!" He shouted back, he was definitely under the influence of something.

He turned his back on me and walked out, leaving the forsaken door ajar. I sighed and stood up to shut the door, but as I reached for the doorknob I had got distracted. The woman across the hall from me was very concentrated on her paperwork, tightly holding her quill in her right hand and holding the parchment taught with the other. I don't know how long I was watching her but she looked up at me, sensing someone staring at her. I managed to shoot her a quick small grin turning away, but not before I saw her grin back at me.

I closed the door behind me, pressing myself against the cool glass window. Normally, I'd probably be freaking out from the overwhelming excitement about the fact that Narcissa Black smiled at me but unfortunately for me, Thicknesse just killed my ability for momentary joy.

I started to prepared my office for tomorrow. I had begun to organize the drawers and folders, moving on to tidying up around the desk. I really only aligned most items since I wasn't particularly messy, though things could become disheveled easily when I'm working. It didn't take me long to reorganize the things so I left to go home. I left my office and I just wanted to get back to my room and my bed. 

I kept my focus and watched my feet as I left. However, today once I left the Ministry building I apperated back. I felt a whole sense of relaxation fall over me once I crossed my doorway. I didn't even bother with food or anything else, I went straight back to my room and undressed for my pajamas. I know that it's probably only 4:30 pm but I feel so tired.

(Updated on Oct 3, 2021.)