Chapter 30: Shadow of the Colossus

11:51pm, Lykavittos Hill, Athens

Aaron stood shakily as best he could, doing his best to avoid his habit of relying on his splinted right arm. His body still shook with awe and horror. Every night he'd seen that demonic yet god-like visage in his dreams. How many times had he woken up to that face? How many times had he jumped at the slightest thunder? He had spent every day since that night preparing himself for the second round with Berserker, but he knew then as he knew now, from the deepest core of his being, that he wasn't ready. His hand instinctively moved to his chest, the deep scar hidden underneath his shirt. It stung. That lightning bolt would've killed him if not for his magecraft.

Rider soared back towards the Acropolis, leaving a golden tail of light as he did. It was enchanting in its horror, the light and noise that flashed in the distance, each movement threatening death for the only people he really knew.

But where was he?

He scanned his surroundings. He was on an overlook of some kind, a long, stone bench outlining the deck and acting as both a seat and railing. Behind him on his right was what appeared to be a diner, closed obviously, and on his left what appeared to be an old chapel carved from white rock, a Grecian flag flying high above it. He could see some lights below him, but now wasn't the time for investigation. He turned back to the Acropolis with a faint hope of being able to observe from afar.

"Don't turn around."

A voice he had never heard spoke from behind him. It was clearly masculine, but there was eloquence behind it.

He didn't turn around, but his focus was now entirely on the figure behind him.

"Who are you?" It was difficult for him to speak, the stress of the situation putting his lungs in a vice.

The man behind him appeared to consider for a moment before replying, "Archer."

If he was willing to give his class so easily, then there was only one logical conclusion, "You're gonna kill me."

"You're smart, but that isn't necessarily the case."

"Meaning?"

"I'm here to tie up loose ends, and to determine whether you are such a thing that ought to be tied."

"Fair enough, I guess. What are you looking for?"

In his mind, he called out to Rider, trying to reach him as best he could, screaming for help. He could feel his thoughts leave his mind and disappear into ether, as if splintering against an invisible wall.

"When I was summoned, there were three Servants before me: Rider, Berserker, and Caster. One or more of you is responsible for the creation of this war, and given your workshop at the Acropolis, you seem to be in the best position for such a thing."

He couldn't help but gulp. "Well I'm not. I was dragged into this just like anyone else."

"Is that why your Servant is so powerful? Because you were caught totally unawares? Not because you were planning for this war and had the relic already prepared?"

'Shit.'

He wasn't lying, but it was true that he was preparing for a Grail War, just not this one. But that wasn't a good excuse. It wasn't at all believable.

He was so dead.

'Well, if I'm gonna go down anyway...'

He turned as fast as he could, building as much energy as he could in his broken wrist. It hurt, it stung, it burned like Hell, but it didn't matter. He caught the shadow of the man behind him, sitting atop the small chapel, and released. The bolt of lightning flew at the figure, closing in on his head, before suddenly cutting off, striking the roof behind him.