Jealousy

The next morning was kinda awkward.

Elena and Katherine avoided each other and there was visible awkwardness between Stefani and Katherine, leading to a very confused Caroline.

She had no idea what caused this mood change and wondered what could possibly had happened while she was asleep.

When she approached Elena upon this subject the doppelgänger put on a fake smile and assured her everything was fine, but Caroline didn't believe her. She could see it in Elena's eyes, but her best friend obviously didn't want to talk about it, so she didn't push any further. It was very untypical for the blonde girl, but Elena was thankful and Caroline could feel it.

.

After an awkward breakfast and an even more awkward farewell, they were finally on the road again. This time Elena sat behind Caroline. Although she still avoided Katherine, she couldn't help but steal a glance at her doppelgänger every once in a while.

Katherine tried her best to keep up an indifferent look as she focused on the street, but Elena could see the pain hiding in her beautiful features.

Katherine could feel Elena's glances, but didn't return them, afraid of what she might see in Elena's eyes.

Some further investigations told them that they unfortunately chose the wrong airport and where about nine hours away from the church Matt had mentioned.

The only problem now was that Caroline had called Matt now almost 24hrs ago and with the time difference in Europe it was possible that he and Rebekah had already left to another country.

No one said it out loud, but they all knew it and consequently were pretty tense and stressed.

However, after the first two hours all three vampires didn't waste another thought about the possibility of them already gone and started to simply enjoy the drive and the landscape rushing by.

After all they got to see Italy, even though it was nothing like being here for vacation and actually go sight seeing or to the beach, but it was enough and maybe they would even visit another country.

Although Elena wanted nothing more than to be far away from Katherine right now, she also secretly wished for Matt and Rebekah to be gone already, so she would get to see more of the world.

I mean, when would I ever get the chance for such a trip again, right?

/

Three and a half hour later Katherine left the highway and pulled up to a gas station.

"After I refueled, do you guys want to take a break here?" Katherine asked, facing the girls with raised eyebrows.

"Sure." Caroline replied nonchalantly.

Elena mumbled some agreement under her breath before she turned to look out of the window again.

"Alright." With that Katherine got out of the car and walked to the gas cap, which was on the side where Elena sat.

While Katherine was busy opening the cap, the passenger's door opened and Caroline jumped out.

"I need to use the restroom. I'll be right back."

"Ok." Katherine acknowledged, before turning around to grab the gas pump.

When she once again faced the car she saw how Elena quickly averted her eyes. With a grimace mixed with amusement and pain she began to fuel up the car, her eyes never leaving Elena.

She studied the younger girl and admired how her brown hair gleamed in the sun.

When Elena shot her a glance again, glaring when she found Katherine staring at her, the older vampire showed her a small smile.