Chapter Eighteen: Immortality.

I lay on my sleeping bag while everyone slept around me. I had a paperback in my hand, engrossed in the novel. I didn't want to sleep. Times like these when I wished I could get tired.

Hey. Mare, the Moon Goddess wants
to speak to you. Go into meditating, Alex told me hastily.

I raised an eyebrow, complying.
I sat criss-cross applesauce, my feet joining at the heels. I cleared my mind, taking ten deep breaths in. My hands lay limply on my legs, and hands over my knees.

I zeroed in on the strings that were inside me. There was a red string for reading. A blue string for the beach. There was a yellow string for my mom and a black string for my father. There was a dark blue string for morning showers and an orange one for sunrises. A black one with white specks for stargazing.

There were so many of them. I just kept sifting through all of them, reveling in them as I looked at all of these cords that made me me. One stood out amongst the rest. It was a shining platinum one that just begged to be pulled.

It was very tempting but I knew that if I did wrap my slender, long fingers around this string and pull, I would shift instantly. I passed a clear string, one string that was meant to be reserved for my mate.

I always wondered if my mate was a werewolf. I hoped that she was. It would be easier to know she was then know that there was a paranormal woman out there that was meant to be my mate but that god damned prophecy-

I shoved the thought away, trying to clear my head once more. I found a gold string, one that would allow me to contact the Moon Goddess when wanted or needed.

I gripped the metal string, tugging. Suddenly my mind became one with its self and I was placed into a dream like trance.

My knees and hands hit ground, my
skin biting against sticks on the ground. I looked around me, analyzing my surroundings. When ever the Moon Goddess wants to talk, she always finds a new setting based on what she wants to talk about.

A forest. 

I was in a forest in the middle of the night. The air was warm and sticky, signaling it was most likely the middle of July.

I looked around finding a clearing in the distance. I stood, my muscles taut, my body aligning with the feeling of my brain being overworked in this magic-induced coma.

I took long strides toward the clearing, finding a woman bathing in a crystal clear water fall. The clearness of the water reminded me of Knight's undeniably beautiful eyes.

The woman was bathing in the bath, steam engulfing the area around her. She lapped at her body, spreading soap onto her porcelain skin. The scent, one that I could smell from here even without my abilities, was vanilla.

Slightly unsettled, I took a step closer, ignoring the fact that she was in the nude, the peaks of her breasts showing just over the water. She looked up at me, smiling in an unruly way that made me shift from one foot to another.

She always picked a different face- the Moon Goddess. This time this woman was petite, narrow waist and sinful curves that made me avert my eyes.

"Nice of you to join me, Amaranthine." She said, her voice velvety and sultry.

I swallowed, looking into her eyes. She did this to me every time. Exploited my weakness every time we met by being naked in one form or another.

The annoying bastard.

"What is it you brought me here for?" I asked as she got out of the water, not bothering to wrap her frame in the towel that laid on a jagged rock off the side.