Chapter 19: Hypocrite

November 12, 2008

Vivian Anderson moved into the hospital's nursery, her brown eyes on the first row of babies as they all laid quietly in their cribs. She smiled as she approached the second row of cribs and the first crib held a very wide awake two day old baby boy. She lifted him up gently and cradled him to her chest. "You should be sleeping, little one." She whispered as she started to sway back and forth.

"He seems to like you rocking him better though." Cooper Thurman cleared his throat from the doorway and shrugged. "I heard you'd be in today, I haven't been able to catch you since you visited the city."

Vivian looked up and shrugged. "I am pretty good with cuddling so I can understand." She nodded slowly. "I've been dealing with a lot lately, I don't have an answer for you either so I hope you didn't put any plans on hold to meet with me first. It's not that easy, Coop. I'd be uprooting my life I just built here."

"Are you worried about uprooting yourself from this hard work or are you worried about losing that guy?" He crossed his arms over his chest. "There are millions of guys in the world to bed down, there are not millions of opportunities to follow your dreams."

The brunette shook her head. "I'm not looking for millions guys, I am perfectly content with my life."

"Then you've made your decision." Cooper stood up straight, towering over the brunette. "I have to admit though, that kind of saddens me because I've done my research and I know you deserve much more than that."

Vivian looked up at Cooper again, her brow furrowed. "What would you know about what I deserve? We may be from different ends of the spectrum, doesn't mean we're not good together."

"You think he'll marry you? Give you kids of your own? You think the white picket fence appeals to him?" Cooper crossed his arms over his chest. "You and I both know he won't and it doesn't. We both know he is here for himself."

The brunette shook her head. "Then let me worry about that. That's my business." She moved back to the empty crib and laid the baby down. "Alright. handsome. You keep sleeping and don't get any ideas of growing too fast. Adulthood is dumb." She started to move around Cooper only for him to grab a hold of her arm gently and he pulled her to him. "Cooper."

"I think you know you need more and better, you're just afraid to walk away from what is familiar." He whispered to her, his brown eyes never leaving hers. "Don't turn this opportunity down, Viv."

She sighed heavily. "Which one is that? The opportunity to have the clinic in the city or you?" She pulled away from him and left the nursery. "Go home, Cooper, I'll call you if I get a change of direction."

Later in the Day

Vivian entered the kitchen from the garage and kicked her heels off before she moved to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of wine. She looked at it for a moment before she made her way into the living room to sit down on her sofa. She opened the bottle of wine and took a generous swig from it before she groaned and stood up, moving back into the kitchen and grab her ringing phone.

"Dr. Anderson?" Vivian spoke into the phone.

"Don't be silly, Vivian. Take Coop's offer. It will be good for you, more opportunities." Isabel's voice came through the speaker.

"I'm not doing this. Leave me alone, I'll make whatever choice I deem suitable for me." Vivian ended the call and started dialing the number for her favorite pizza parlor. "Two large meat deluxes, add mushrooms, onions, green bell peppers. One order of garlic knots and let's do an order of fried cinnamon knots. Thank you, oh yeah. Vivian Anderson. I'll pick it up."