Chapter 29: A Long Ride

December 31, 2008

It was New Year's Eve and Vivian Anderson was not pleased at all. She was once again sick, her stomach had been in knots and she hadn't kept anything down. It was a day for her to be on call, and she had no expectations for her patients to call her in. None of them were close to the end of their pregnancies and she was actually glad. She had spent the last night fighting what started to feel like a losing battle with her ex-boyfriend. He was as difficult to understand as he was handsome. She couldn't deny it though, she was still very much in love with him and she did miss him. But at some point, she had to think of herself. She had to think about how unsettling their relationship was. Unstable. She couldn't stomach the instability, the lack of communication, trust and loyalty. She was going to make him understand one thing though; actions have consequences.

Vivian had enough last night. She called the one person she knew wouldn't question her and the situation, she knew it would further piss Jax off too. That was a petty plus. She normally wasn't petty, childish, or vindictive. She didn't even stoop down levels of morale but she was going nuts. Jax Teller was driving her nuts. His indecisive thoughts, his quick jumps to action with no clear thought process of the consequences or the affects his actions had on others? All of it drove her nuts. Maybe their break up was the best thing for them.

She finished with packing up the dishes in her kitchen and set the box on the countertop closest to the refrigerator. She checked the time, 8:43 AM. She'd been up for three hours, since she'd returned back to her home after Cooper Thurman dropped her off. She knew she had pissed Jax off when he realized it was Cooper she called but she didn't care. She was tired of fighting the man. She was tired of arguing, she was tired of trying to beg for her own space from a man who seemed to enjoy pushing her away just to try to pull her back in.

She started to pack up her dry foods from the cabinet when she was interrupted by the sound of her doorbell. She sighed heavily but made her way out of the kitchen and through the living room to the front door. She unlocked the door and opened it to find Cooper at the door. He held up a stack of large black plastic crates and yellow lids. She smiled and stepped aside. "You didn't have to do that."

"You didn't have to call me. But you needed a friend and you picked me. So here I am, still trying to help you." The man shrugged lazily as he stepped into the house and set the crates down before placing the lids on top. He stepped back out, offering her a smile. "Besides, I wanted to check on you too. I figured you didn't come home to sleep but you could use the rest. Have you considered an restraining order?"

Vivian shook her head slowly. "I suppose you're right, thanks for checking on me and thank you for bringing these over. I will definitely put them to use. I know, I know. Sleep is important but I just wanted to get stuff packed up." She sighed heavily. "No, well yes I've considered it but it's just an unnecessary waste of time because I'd have to go to court and whatnot. It's not that big of a deal."

"It is if you're calling a friend to come pick you up from your own home." Cooper shrugged his shoulders. "I won't push it though, just do me a favor? Don't hesitate to call me again if you need a friend again. I'll be here. If you need help moving, too, let me know."

Vivian nodded and offered him a smile. "I know, it will work itself out. Thank you again, I will give you a call for all of the tall man work and heavy lifting." She reached out and squeezed his arm. "Thanks Cooper, I'll see you later."

——
——

He spotted the lone Harley sitting off on the side of the street that he knew could give the lone man view of certain houses in the small subdivision. He shook his head as he pulled up beside his best friend and turned his bike off. Their eyes met and Jax Teller shrugged his shoulders.