Unexpected visitor

"Len..." Miku started with a hesitant tone, warning her friend that she was about to reveal something serious. Her eyes were still red from tears but the salt water had long since stopped rolling down her face. She looked at Len intensely before starting, "Len, I..."

Len waited patiently for her to finish her sentence, but she seemed stuck. He saw the struggle in her features, as if she was pushing herself really hard to say what she was trying to say. Finally, she took a deep breath and finished her sentence: "I l-like you..." She then proceeded to hide her cherry-red face with her hands. Len stared at her in shock. She... liked him?

Len's POV

Still, I didn't move, hoping that if Miku was uncomfortable she would tell me. But she never did. Instead, she closed her eyes. So did I, and we ended up falling asleep one beside the other, cuddling.

The next thing we knew, the doorbell rang, making us jump. We were still surprised by the position we were sleeping in, but there was no time to think about it. The door opened suddenly, even if it was locked, and a dark figure walked in. The lights in Miku's house were dimmed and it was dark outside, so all we could see about the mysterious person was that they had frizzy hair, a cane and a hat. Like if we were in a horror movie, thunder shook the house and lightning lit up the backyard. The dark figure advanced slowly towards us, making Miku shake in my arms. I hugged her to comfort her, then got off of the sofa, took a hold of an umbrella that was on the table and prepared myself to protect my friend.

The mysterious person staggered around for I don't know what purpose and started hitting and scratching on the wall. Miku was whimpering in fear, and I held myself from going back to her. Finally, the person clicked on the light switch. I guess that's what they were doing by hitting the wall. After the small moment where we were blinded by the light, me and the person looked each other in the eye. He had wavy red hair with a little flag poking out of it. He was wearing a white coat, covering part of a red shirt. His face was a bit weird, as he had a red bandaid in the form of an X on his nose and his eyes were mismatched.

I recognised that dude immediately.

"Fukase!!" I ran to him and hugged him like when we were kids. He hugged me back, much stronger than me, and I had a little trouble breathing. I had forgotten how strong he was...

When we parted, I asked him, "What are you doing here?"

"I finished my studies in Europe, so I figured I would come back to Japan! I went to your house and your sister said you were here. I had to walk in the rain, ugh!" As he said this, I noticed how wet he was. His red hair was soaked and his clothes were drenched. I quickly offered him a white towel that I found in Miku's coat closet. While he dried himself off, I went to sit back beside Miku. She still looked a bit shaken by my childhood friend's arrival, so I whispered in her ear, "I know he's creepy, but don't worry, it's just his style. He's really nice and he won't hurt you." She seemed a little reassured by this, but she still looked at me with begging eyes when I started to stand up. I still needed to talk to Fukase, so I squeezed her hand before getting up and walking up to my old friend.

"So, what's your plan now? Do you have a place to stay? A job?" I asked him. Fukase had never been a very responsible person, always doing things he wanted to do before what he needed to do and never doing things he didn't want to do. I suspected that he just came here without any idea what he was going to do, and that he was just going to tell me, I live in the present. I'll figure it out.

"I live in the present. I'll figure it out."

What a surprise, I thought, and gave him a stern look. "Listen, I'm really glad that you're back, don't get me wrong. But I'm not helping you financially nor letting you stay at my house. AND! You're finding a job on your own. And I mean it!"