Elizabeth Moncrieff

TW!

Elizabeth was at her mum’s birthday party, at her home. She had been drinking, a lot. She’d gone to bed. The only men at the birthday party were her brothers. One of them raped her whilst she slept.

She remembered only snippets in her haze, and thought she must have been imagining things. She went to work, as normal. A few weeks later her period was late, and the pregnancy test was positive. She knew she hadn’t been sexually active all year; she knew that her brother had raped her, and that she was carrying his child. She had an abortion.

Elizabeth didn’t report the rape, despite the police becoming involved when the abortion clinic were duty bound to tell them. She was scared to be questioned about something that she couldn’t even share with her family. She felt that perhaps she had caused this. She did not think she would be believed. There was no physical evidence. She felt that she was partially responsible and ‘deserved’ it because she had been drinking. She was scared that her past sexual history would be paraded in front of others.

In her chapter, called Did I Deserve This?, Elizabeth writes, “In the eyes of the media, I deserved it. The rhetoric in the press these days is one of ‘victim blaming’… To me, it meant that I must somehow have been asking for it… I dared to believe that I was safe, therefore I am to blame.”
A

nd, of course, he was her brother. What kind of justice can there be, when your rapist is a family member? 

This seriously bought tears to my eyes- Im sorry to people that have experienced this. My dms are always open.

Please spread awareness!

-Stay Safe ♡